Which Agent Rightfully Receives the Commission?

JamsN4

A bit of background...I began working as a agent under Agent/Broker #1 at his agency. Due to financial difficulties, he sold the business to Agent/Broker #2 hence a merge into a new agency which we both now belong to. I now work on salary plus commission.

Five months ago our agency received a call from a former client that had his commercial insurance with Agent #1. Policies were cx for appr 5 yrs. "Client" started a brand new business, already had insurance through a different agency but was shopping around. I took the call and information. Client never once asked for Agent #1, Agent #1 never touched the account to assist with quoting (high maintenance account) nor did he ever speak to the client during the quoting/application process. I spent many hours on this account in hopes to close it for the agency and yes even for myself.

FINALLY closed the deal however now Agent #1 feels he is entitled to the commission since the client had business through him many years ago. Ahhh but Agent #1 is "willing" to compensate me $500 for my hard work. I feel confidant that the deal was closed due to the client/agent relationship built over the past several months of working with this client.

Who is rightfully entitled to the commission? What suggestions can be offered to approach this with minimal discord?

Thank you in advance for any direction offered :)

ok.. this comming from a health guy so keep that in mind...

if my name is on the page for agent number and has my signature then he can go piss up a rope... its mine, all mine.. or you could have a gun fight in the town square, winner take all

That is my thought but he is thinking since his name WAS on a commercial account tied to this client (however a different business) many years ago, that he has all rights to it.

I am a step away from displaying my crazy side - lol

This is simple.
Under whose carrier appointment was this placed? I assume Agent 2, which means Agent 1 has no say.

The fact that he had a previous relationship with the individual means nothing at all. Its a new business, the guy was shopping, you did the work.

I don't blame agent 1 for asking, but it should not happen. If it does, he'll be in there for every reinstatement and rewrite that occurs. He sold the business.

Now, for a bit of clarification, does Agent 1 work for the new brokerage? Not that it matters, just curious?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes this account was placed under Agency 2 and yes Agent 1 came moved here with the merge.

Its yours.
Agent 1 didn't even have the interim policy, not sure why he would feel entitled to this one.

He never had this business under this agency, so its fair game.

Dan

Looks like the votes are in and I agree with everyone else. Tell him to go pound sand.

I'd tell him to deal with it and walk away. Obviously he wasn't the agent he thinks he is because the guy was shopping around rather than staying with that agent.

Kudos for trying, but you're not going to be bullied into paying "legacy costs" or some **** because he once knew the guy.

I'd tell him to deal with it and walk away. Obviously he wasn't the agent he thinks he is because the guy was shopping around rather than staying with that agent.

Kudos for trying, but you're not going to be bullied into paying "legacy costs" or some **** because he once knew the guy.

It was his client, from his agency, which he sold.

Really the commission should go to the OP, but since it is Agent #2's agency, it is his decision. Ultimately, expect it to go to whoever he wants to keep happier. Produce business and it will be you. Agent #1 is probably on the decline if he had to sell his agency but still has to produce.

Latest posts

Back