Which IUL for Me?

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
which IUL carrier/product is best for me?

i want to have a roth ira, but im considering IUL with no contribution limits.

can i get a 50k IUL and over fund it when i have money and pay min. when i dont have money?

how are these compared to roth ira? i will open one or the other right now i can max out roth ira, but i would like to be able to "borrow" against policy and not have early withdrawal penalties. I have about 40 yrs i can fund it.

kinda of like a balloon style, i will invest what i can, but future payments will get bigger and bigger if my business is stable, but also want the option of permanent insurance.

how does MEC come into play vs roth ira?

Lincoln National, ING, North American, Penn Mutual are the top players.

And probably about in that order IMO.

LFG has a competitive cap (13%) and low Loan Rates (2% participating/3% fixed). They also have a yearly 1% min.
They are also a top notch company.

ING is good. 13% (if I remember right) cap, 3% loans, 1% yearly min.
They have a Global IUL that takes the best 2 out of 3 indexes for the year. It is a strong Indexing method with some of the best historical returns in the industry.

NA is strong too. But I like LFG better as a company.

Are you a life agent too? (I know your P&C)

What is your business structure? Are you planning to run this through your business in an executive bonus type arrangement?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Apples, meet oranges.

Not all that much, they both use after tax income to provide tax free retirement income.

Last edited:
Here's what I know, if you have 40 years to fund this, there's no way you're getting anything close to $5,000/year into an IUL with a $50,000 death benefit.

Since life insurance is not an investment and a Roth IRA is an investment, then I would say they are apples and oranges.

A ROTH IRA is not an investment. It is a Tax Classification.

You do not have to utilize what FINRA considers "investments" (aka equities) inside of a ROTH or Traditional IRA.

So again, they both have the ability to do very similar things.

Since life insurance is not an investment and a Roth IRA is an investment, then I would say they are apples and oranges.
www.Dictionary.com...

in·vest·ment

/ɪnˈvɛst
thinsp.png
mənt/ Show Spelled [in-vest-muh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
nt] Show IPA
noun 1. the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

2. a particular instance or mode of investing.

3. a thing invested in, as a business, a quantity of shares of stock, etc.

4. something that is invested; sum invested.

5. the act or fact of investing or state of being invested, as with a garment.

Words mean things, and there's nothing about a Roth (which is a tax treatment, not a product) that meets the above definition of investment.

I would say that in the true sense of the word, WL, UL, IUL would qualify as an investment.

Nowhere in the definition does it mention market risk, tax treatment, liquidity, the potential for financial loss, etc.

Ok, a Roth IRA is not a direct investment, it is a vehicle used for investments. You both know what I meant. I will never believe that insurance products are a better alternative for retirement income over the course of 40 years when someone is not already maxing out all of their other retirement strategies.

Last edited:
Ok, a Roth IRA is not a direct investment, it is a vehicle used for investments. You both know what I meant. I will never believe that insurance products are a better alternative for retirement income over the course of 40 years when someone is not already maxing out all of their other retirement strategies.

That is because you either have not made an accurate comparison or fully understand CV Life Insurance.

I would love to see how an insurance product with cost of insurance charges and caps on interest rates which can be changed by the insurance company at any time can outperform a passive S&P index fund over a period of 40 years.

Back