Which States Prohibit Non-compete Agreements?

I don't know that (m)any states prohibit them, but some certainly enforce them more strictly than others.

Any specific reason you ask?

It depends on just how restrictive the "non compete" agreement is.
If they restrict you from competing in an entire state or an entire region of the country .. . .they it is not enforceable in Georgia.
If they restrict you in a town, or county then the non compete can be enforced. The larger the non commpete area mentioned in the contract.....the lesser of a chance it would stand up.
They cannot restrict you for earning na living in your "chosen profession" from an entire state.

Generally, the non compete only has to do with replacing business about which you gained knowledge while working or under contract with a company.

"Some states prohibit non-compete agreements to a certain extent. In some cases a client is not bound by the non-compete agreement and cannot be prohibited from choosing whom to do business with. Nevertheless, those looking to transition from being an employee to their own agency should proceed with caution."

The origin of my question is this paragraph and some others. So I was curious to see if any state prohibits it.

"Some states prohibit non-compete agreements to a certain extent. In some cases a client is not bound by the non-compete agreement and cannot be prohibited from choosing whom to do business with. Nevertheless, those looking to transition from being an employee to their own agency should proceed with caution."

The origin of my question is this paragraph and some others. So I was curious to see if any state prohibits it.

I don't know who wrote that but it doesn't make sense. A 'client" would never be bound by an agent's non compete.

Could be what they mean is an agent cannot be restricted by the non compete as long as the client initiates the contact.

Back