Which type of agent are you?

padthaiforlunch

Guru
1000 Post Club
There have been a number of posts about selling lately. In another thread there was discussion of professionalism among insurance agents and changing how we sell. So here is a concept I came across long ago, that I took to heart.

There are three types of salesmen:

1. Benefits selling - When one enters the game, they focus on features and benefits. Auto sales are probably the most notorious -- feature: folding seat; benefit, you can fit more in your car.

2. Relationship selling - Once you know your product, you may realize that in order to separate yourself, you need to move beyond the commoditization of product by every Joe Blow the that enters the business by way of the spaghetti theory (throw it against a wall and see what sticks). So now you focus on building a relationship with the customer. Hopefully, you can get him to like you - people are more inclined to do business with those they like.

3. Consultative selling - While knowing your product and building relationships is important, you are still just a salesman, trying to get people to buy from you. As a consultant, you put yourself out there as an expert in your field. You are giving advice based upon the needs of the client. If you can building trust, and help the client, then sales will follow (so will referals).

To be a consultant you must determine the needs of the client. You ask, they talk. If you can get them to open up, you can place yourself in the position of trusted advisor.

Which are you, salesman or advisor?

I think most of us evolve to be all three. The situation dictates the style, but I prefer to be a consultative agent, and the current buzz word descriptor is 'Trusted Advisor'.

In order to be a successful agent, you have to master all three of these techniques, and know when to use which one.

For example, if you are selling FE to low income individuals, you're going to focus on cost and need, i.e. "It will protect your loved ones against the cost of your funeral, and, you can buy it for less than a dollar a day."

On the other hand, if you are dealing with a high net worth individual, who you are doing some long term strategic financial planning for, you want to be the ultimate "consultant".

I guess it all depends on the client.

Dave

Hey pad, I've just about decided to do a mailer with a reply card independent of any lead source. I just have to get in the mood to work the leads consistently to set appts. A final big push for some new business before Medicare AEP gets here. I'll share the mail piece with you after I get it put together.

Hey pad, I've just about decided to do a mailer with a reply card independent of any lead source. I just have to get in the mood to work the leads consistently to set appts. A final big push for some new business before Medicare AEP gets here. I'll share the mail piece with you after I get it put together.

Thanks. Once I get my designer to finish my website, I'll get my mailer together. Will def. do a reply card style mailing.

You left out the order takers. I do this more than I realized I would.

Someone buys a car, they need insurance, I take an order. I used to try to do a bit of consultative selling in this case, found out that isn't what they want, they want to be insured at a reasonable price, they will deal with the details later. I don't even really talk about features (folding seats, leather interior, roadside assistance, liability limits, etc). I simply quote and write.

Now, when I work with businesses, I definitely work in a more consultatative style. This requires much more in depth knowledge on products (spelled "I'll get back to you on that"), and knowing what is required to keep the client in business.

I used to try to educate my clients, I found most just want the cliff notes version, if any education at all. They have 3 questions, once you answer those, you are done. Don't try to educate them when they don't want to be educated.

Dan

A good agent needs to become all three. You can never leave out the price factor, however, in any situation. Everyone wants to save and make a buck on both ends of any business transaction. There is the feeling of triumph, though, when you know a customer went with you because of the services and product you offer as opposed to price. That's when you know what you're doing works!

Back