Who Are You Going To Believe? Your Lying Eyes Or Me?

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
White House adviser: We never said there was a target number for Obamacare enrollees:

A White House health care adviser said Tuesday that the Obama administration didn't set a target number for enrollees in health care exchanges under the Affordable Care Act, and that the figure of 7 million bandied about by the likes of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius was put out by the Congressional Budget Office, not them.

In an interview with NBC, Phil Schiliro said that attracting 7 million enrollees by March 2014 was never the White House's stated goal for participation in President Barack Obama's signature health care legislation.

"That was never our target number, that was a target that was put out by the Congressional budget office and its become the accepted number. ... There's no magic to the 7 million. What there is magic to is that in the month of December, a million Americans signed up for insurance."

Schiliro also said he wanted to give updated numbers on enrollment, but could not.

"I wanted to come this morning and give you some new numbers, unfortunately, we can't do that because we have to verify numbers, repeatedly," Schiliro said.

Schiliro, who returned to work in the White House earlier this month to oversee health care policy, said Tuesday, on the eve of the first day of health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act, “We’re very excited, but we’re vigilant. We don’t want anybody to have problems, but we know some people will.”

Schiliro offered a toll free phone number for anyone who experience problems with their doctor or insurance company. The number is: 1-800-318-2596

White House adviser: We never said there was a target number for Obamacare enrollees | AL.com

So, in other words, the target we set is not the real target (never mind that man behind the curtain), but the number of enrollees this month, which is high - we'll take that as an accomplishment.

Though, I can neither confirm or deny that number.

:nah:

Obamacare is like hunting morning doves. Hitting one out of four shots ain't bad.

Bob,

Someone else set the target, and the leaders accepted it and used it (and have even referenced it on TV and print interviews and speeches), but that's not the real target. Officially, there isn't a target, they never set one. They never set any goals, only a few deadlines (that were almost all missed, or delayed at the last minute, or disregarded).

It's like my friend saying "I think you can run a 20 minute 5-k for charity". I reply "yes, that's a great goal, I should be able to do that, it would be a validation of all of this training".

Then, on 5-k day, as I pass the 20 minute mark with the finish line still out of sight: "That wasn't my goal, I didn't set it. If I run this last KM kinda fast, goal achieved, all the training was worth it."

You can bet the carriers that bought into this had goals . . . . and the final enrollment is going to be a disaster especially when you net out the unfunded and lapses.

LOL Rick.
Would love to be a fly on the wall after enrollment is finished in April of next year and see how "hot" this new book of business (ACA Plans) run...
Expect to see some serious claims.

My business alone will probably run 200 - 250% LR. Granted it is a small block but probably indicative of the overall mess.

I'm protecting my companies by asking underwriting questions anyway. I also tell them that $50K of whole life is required with upfront annual premiums.

I was also thinking about adding an Rx card but don't want to cheat people - especially those getting a big subsidy.

Rick

Back