Who can write this type of commercial

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
Client had a decent travelers Master Pac Contractors policy. $16k claim then didn't pay the bill. So now he can't get work without insurance.

he does residential property clean outs and maintenance for banks with foreclosed homes. Cleaning, snow shoveling, lots of landscaping, painting, removing rubbish and furniture from the homes.

Tried Leatherstocking, Broome Co-op, USLI and three brokers. third broker said United Specialty and that they were non-admitted and he couldn't write it and didn't know who could.

Only bothering with this guy because I have the home, auto and insure several of his family.

Between the claim and lapse I would walk away. I just handed off a solid appointment from a referral to a fellow agent, because the business owner has a lapse - and that usually turns into a trouble client. In the long run you would do better to hand off this lead to someone else.

What happens when the economy has a correction, and the insured sees a dip in his business? He's going to blow off his insurance bill again. Count on it.

If you are sure you want to write it, I'd say send the app out to several surplus brokers and see who can make it work. Different GA's have different markets and different tricks up their sleeves.

It won't be cheap, and you should fully expect the client to gyp you on the bill at some point.

"It won't be cheap" and it quite possibly won't cover much, if anything. I got a bid once from a tree service company to move 19 trees off my property, most felled by a tornado. One bidder had a CGL policy with a $700 premium. It had 42 endorsements attached. One excluded "ongoing operations" and another excluded "your work." He had no coverage for anything he was doing, but he had a certificate of insurance that said he had a CGL policy and it only cost him $700.

"It won't be cheap" and it quite possibly won't cover much, if anything. I got a bid once from a tree service company to move 19 trees off my property, most felled by a tornado. One bidder had a CGL policy with a $700 premium. It had 42 endorsements attached. One excluded "ongoing operations" and another excluded "your work." He had no coverage for anything he was doing, but he had a certificate of insurance that said he had a CGL policy and it only cost him $700.

I recall you writing a blog about that. You would think there would be some liability on the agent and even surplus broker in a situation like this. They sold him a worthless piece of paper that doesn't cover what it is intended to cover. But I guess the tree service wouldn't care until there was a claim, then they'd probably try to settle by transferring their right to sue the agent to the injured party.

Back