Who Here is Selling HRA's?

Post Quartermaster

Guru
1000 Post Club
And who are you TPA'ing them through?

Although our HRA business has slowed a little bit since the first of the year, I just finished renewing 4 or 5 smallish cases that have had HRA's in place for 2+ years. The bulk of my HRA stuff is run through TASC.....I'm curious to see who else here uses them. The latest renewal really impressed me, as this group has shrunk down to 5 lives (originally averaged 9-12), and with some slightly above average claims years, they've done pretty well....to the tune of about $7k left over in the HRA @ year 3. The worst case is still around break even in the HRA after two very bad years (2 cancers in a 5 life case), and compared to their premium before takeover, are still way ahead of the game.

How 'bout you guys?

My happiest clients have HRAs. It makes the renewal discussion much easier:

"Your rates went up 16%, we have $X amount left over that was over funded into the "HRA liability" account. Here's my suggestions:

a. raise the deductible and HRA reimbursement amount, let's self insure a little more risk.

b. let's fund less into the HRA liability slush fund this year to offset the premium increase.

With either option, we can keep your outgoing cash flow about the same."

I don't have a group on an HRA program that aren't miles ahead of where they would have otherwise been.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As far as TPAs, mainly TASC. I like their "quarterly smoothing" of claims, unlike most other administrators I looked into that immediately pull money as a claim comes due. The downsides to TASC: I hate dealing with customer service on the phone (long waits, not always competent), they routinely make unexplained claims reimbursement mistakes, and this past winter, they got very slow in their claim reimbursement turn around time.

Besides TASC, here is another option that works for small groups if the quarterly smoothing of claims isn't necessary. It's another WI based administrator called Benefit Design Group (www.bdgflex.com), they have lower fees, better customer service, and give the employer the option of having BDG send a monthly summary of the reimbursement checks to be cut that month (it doesn't show actual claims to avoid HIPAA liability, just dollar amounts). The employer does the actual check writing.

Last edited:
I have run my HRA business through UHC.

How much does your TPA charge in admin for a HRA for 5 life group?

ABC,

Without having the numbers in front of me, I believe it's $50 per month and a one time set-up fee (around $350 or so). I'm not in a position to double check right now, maybe the first poster can fill you in on the exact numbers.

FT

ABC,

Without having the numbers in front of me, I believe it's $50 per month and a one time set-up fee (around $350 or so). I'm not in a position to double check right now, maybe the first poster can fill you in on the exact numbers.

FT

At $50 per head that is not worth it for a small group.

$50 for a 5 person group, not per head.
If a TPA is will to admin an HRA for $50 a month that is great. I have not seen a TPA admin an small group HRA that cheap.

Now with UHC once you have 20 eligible lives then the Admin is free.

Here is another suggestion for an administrator, BASE out of Iowa - baseonline . com is their website. Service is great and very competitive pricing.

Back