Who here works or has worked with JD Mellberg in the last year?

KazeTBW

I am considering going to their upcoming hiring event and working with them. Would love to hear from those who have had some prior experience with them. They are offering 10-15 appts a month hitting my calendar with an avg case of 200k for a 45/55 split. To me its well worth the split to wake up with people to see and all i have to do is close deals. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

An agent and friend that was in my downline left my agency to go to JD Mellberg. That was 3 weeks ago. He said the home office and operation is really impressive. So far he has had 2 appointments. One was at a library which didn't make it past the parking lot into the library for a sit down meeting. The other was with a guy that was a former licensed insurance agent that was looking to collect information. Really small sample size but that's what he has told me so far. I have heard really good things but have only met agents that left none that are still there.

Do you know if they charge anything besides the transportation to get to Tucson? Also, are you captive? Do you also have to have your 65 or 66 with them? Thanks in advance.

I’m also considering it, and would appreciate any feedback
Just got another update from my friend that started working with JD a several weeks ago. He said he just got his first 2 sales (I didn't ask the size) and said he has 7 more appointments in the next week. Hope this helps

Last edited:
FYI: Just spoke to my friend and got the case size he wrote off the JD appointments. He wrote a 40k and a 120k. I believe the split is 45% his and 65% to the "house". He also said that at the training he had attended they stated that the average case is about 50k per case. He is really happy thus far his only negative was that the marketers or sales managers are working with so many agents that they can take a bit longer to get back to agents. All in all he is really happy though. Hope this helps

Thanks for the update. This is amazingly helpful. Would love to continue to hear about your buddies experience. PM me if he wouldnt mind if i reached out to him directly

One more thing that I forgot to mention that could also be helpful was that he mentioned if he writes a case off of a lead/prospect that he finds on his own then he does not have to split the commission. He would get paid street level comp and get 100% of the case no 45/65 split. This sounds pretty fair so if you have a book of clients or you do some marketing on your own you can write and keep all of it. The only thing that I would be mindful of is once you write them with JD as your upline I would suspect he would consider that his client going forward. This is just an assumption but I would ask that if considering joining them. My friend stated that one of his sales was actually a client of the FMO already. The previous agent has moved on to another FMO and wanted to place more money in an annuity so they gave the referral to my friend.

One more thing that I forgot to mention that could also be helpful was that he mentioned if he writes a case off of a lead/prospect that he finds on his own then he does not have to split the commission. He would get paid street level comp and get 100% of the case no 45/65 split. This sounds pretty fair so if you have a book of clients or you do some marketing on your own you can write and keep all of it. The only thing that I would be mindful of is once you write them with JD as your upline I would suspect he would consider that his client going forward. This is just an assumption but I would ask that if considering joining them. My friend stated that one of his sales was actually a client of the FMO already. The previous agent has moved on to another FMO and wanted to place more money in an annuity so they gave the referral to my friend.
A lot of people bag on these deals but I think that they're more than fair.

Annuity leads are crazy expensive to buy or self-generate. They also can be very lucrative but you can go broke before making a decent income.

If annuities are your lead product and not a cross sale, these split arrangements are a pretty good deal for everyone involved.

FWIW, I believe jasperjohns is 100% correct about the client being the agency's and not the agent's. That's ok though. If you build enough rapport and poison the water about other agent contacts, you should be fine either way.

Any new updates from anyone? I'm supposed to fly out for training this month. I really just want to make sure this is the real thing. Thanks

Back