Who To Believe

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
I keep reading, in all the literature I get with each Medicare Advantage company I represent, that I cannot Telemarket to those that qualify, unless I buy a list that has been scrubbed against the Do Not Call registry.

However, I remember reading in this forum that I CAN telemarket, as long as I meet certain criteria. I can't find that link, and I don't know who to believe.

Also, has anyone who is going to sell Medicare Advantage Plans heard of the "Last In Lock In" .

The agency I am using, that is providing me my leads, and who got me licensed and certified with a few companies, hasn't received the leads they dropped three weeks ago.

So, am I to believe the fellow agents on this site, and begin telemarketing? Or, do I wait with baited breath for the leads to come in?

From what I understand, if you don't follow the rules on this one, your license can be in jeopardy.

Then I suggest if you are confused don't sell anything over the phone. Do you sell Supplements do? If so call up, don't mention no specific plan but concentrate on consulting them on what is best for them! In other words sell the concept of consulting, ie don't mention "MA" or "Supplements" and the CMS has nothing to do with it which is where its best to be at IMHO.

Start the phone call up as in this:

Hello I'm James from XXX Firm and recently we mailed out brochures to your area, do you remember recieving it?

(no or yes it doesn't matter)

Well great, I'm glad I called becuase we like to get in touch with everyone and explain what we do. We basically do nothing more then gather some information to see if you are on the best medicare approved health plan for you. Do you understand all the plans out there including all the new ones in the news today and how they may help or not help you?

(more then likely the answer is NO if the answer is YES I would go on to say "are you sure you have the best plan at the best price? or re-qualify anyway you want)

Well I understand, these new plans can be confusing. I need only ten minutes of your time and I'll be in your area tomorrow would 10 AM or 1 PM be best?

(they may answer that they don't feel comfortable without someone such as a child or another caregiver being present, in this case I answer)

I completely understand, when will they be around so I can meet with them along with you? (If that is not possible I state "I'll happily call them to find out, if you give me there number I'll call right now to set up a time with them at their convienence, along with you." I love getting children of seniors involved!)

Thanks for the response, and I like the script you have; however, that does not answer my question. CMS is running the show, and they have made it clear there is to be no telemarketing to seniors for these plans. You must have a referral, or do a seminar, and meet with them as a result of that.

When this was posted on another topic link, there was a portion of the amendment that was passed, controlling this. That is what I'm trying to find.

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy said:
Thanks for the response, and I like the script you have; however, that does not answer my question. CMS is running the show, and they have made it clear there is to be no telemarketing to seniors for these plans. You must have a referral, or do a seminar, and meet with them as a result of that.

When this was posted on another topic link, there was a portion of the amendment that was passed, controlling this. That is what I'm trying to find.

I disagree, they do not want you selling on the phone, you have to actually sit down with the senior and answer and compare the MA to Original Medicare. I have never heard of any rules against telemarketing apointments for the MA or Part D. I worked for Sterling a short time and their main thing was to call the seniors and hammer a apointment, you couldn't sell or answer anything specific but making the appointment was and still is okay. Yet if you are nervous about it then just make an appointment without using the actual term of Part D or C, or otherwise handle it like a Supplement which CMS has no control or say about.

I believe this is what you are looking for...

I agree with James that you should sell yourself rather than the plans if you call and then you are okay. However, James, your script is borderline deceptive and I doubt CMS would approve you saying "We basically do nothing more then gather some information to see if you are on the best medicare approved health plan for you".

By the way, you can not telemarket any list whether DNC scrubbed or not.

Attachments

• 109th_congress_100.doc
    28 KB · Views: 44
Medicare & You 2007 is a consumer guide and has nothing to do with this...the word "telemarket" is not even in the guide.

Compliance training is company-specific, and yes, you should consult each company you write for for their compliance guidelines.

Ok. Maybe I did not make myself clear. Yes, I have the Medicare and You 2007 book. Yes, I have read it. Yes, I have been trained and certified by several companies that have Medicare Advantage Plans. Yes, I know I do not sell over the phone. Yes, I know all of this.

I also know that CMS has established guidelines regarding marketing to the Medicare beneficiaries.

I have found the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy said:
Ok. I have found the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

No it aint that simple, we need at least a 5 page debate before anyone knows the answer! :D

Good luck!

Okay I have set 8 appointments, been on 2 sold 2 to a husband and wife. So how is everyone else doing in the first days?

Back