Who to Use for Series 65 Course?

Motsyball

I posted this on the licensing board a couple days ago and have yet to get a response so I thought I would try posting it here also. I've been an agent for over 20 years. Occasionally I roll over someones small retirement account into an indexed annuity however any of the big money I always refer to my partner who is a CFP. I am looking to get my series 65 since I am only a licensed life agent and he can not pay me on any money he manages from my referrals but to also to cover me over the new DOL rule when writing any fixed annuities. Yes I understand that the new DOL rule might be over turned but we all know this is the direction our industry is going so why not go ahead and get my series 65 to cover me? It will increase my income since there is almost 10 million dollars of money my partner is managing for my clients that I could be receiving an income from.

With all that being said, there are a lot of companies out there that offer series 65 courses so which ones do you highly recommend? I am not as much concerned about the cost as I am on how well they prepare me for the series 65 exam. Does anyone know which company/course has the best pass rate on the exam? Right now I am looking at; Pass Perfect, Securities Training Corp, Solomon Exam, Training Consultants, A. D. Banker, Kaplan & Exam FX (which merged with TesTeachers). I live in KY so I can't find a classroom course or a live course. I would prefer a video course over a correspondence course. So with all that being said, which company do you recommend I use for preparing me for the series 65 exam? Your input is appreciated.

Last edited:
No responses ?

I also am curious who to use for the Series 65 Course. I will say this material is tough as it is lots of details to memorize such as the section on laws, regulations & guidelines.

I started with ExamFX and am having a hard time reading the manual. It seems there has to be a better manual than this one. It is only 250 pages, which sounds good as I have seen some as high as 400 plus pages.

This manual is tough to read in my opinion. Like a wall of words so to speak. Maybe it has all the needed material but anything that is easier would be nice.

The ExamFX online materials are not very good in my opinion. The reading material does not expand to full screen. Therefore lots of pages to click through. No way to mark where you left off. The pages are not numbered so you don't know where you are to pace yourself.

I did see some of the Testeachers online materials which had a lot of videos to watch. Not sure if this is a better way to go. Lots of 20 minute videos that I have to really force myself to focus. At least on the section on all the laws, which is section 4 out of 4 sections.

What is the best course for the 65 out there ?

I used testteachers. I only studied the video courses really, didn't dig into the book. Passed with no problem, but I put in some legitimate study time. This was a few years ago, I have to assume the current stuff is as good or better. I've heard that a number of courses are good, the bottom line is putting in the time to learn the material.

I used testteachers. I only studied the video courses really, didn't dig into the book. Passed with no problem, but I put in some legitimate study time. This was a few years ago, I have to assume the current stuff is as good or better. I've heard that a number of courses are good, the bottom line is putting in the time to learn the material.

Thanks! This will help me.

Thanks! This will help me.

I did get the audio CD's also... would listen to them while driving. Had to help.

I studied quite a bit... made up my mind that if I was gonna put the time/effort/$ into it, I wasn't gonna fail. Might have over studied, but to me that was better than under studying. I know a guy who has been over 3 years trying to get his 65. He doesn't study enough and flunks every time. Not even sure how many times he's taken it. Last I heard he had to wait a year to take it again, and when the time came he failed again.

I did get the audio CD's also... would listen to them while driving. Had to help.

That sounds like a good idea. I get tired of looking at the computer screen after a few hours.

I doubt ExamFX will give me those though. They should since their program is not very good in my opinion. Maybe I can buy them.

I know a guy who has been over 3 years trying to get his 65. He doesn't study enough and flunks every time. Not even sure how many times he's taken it. Last I heard he had to wait a year to take it again, and when the time came he failed again.

I can see that. This material is especially hard for me to focus on. I find myself reading or listening to the videos and drifting off because to material is so dry to me.

Insurance and real estate license materials were much easier for me.

That sounds like a good idea. I get tired of looking at the computer screen after a few hours.

I doubt ExamFX will give me those though. They should since their program is not very good in my opinion. Maybe I can buy them.

I can see that. This material is especially hard for me to focus on. I find myself reading or listening to the videos and drifting off because to material is so dry to me.

Insurance and real estate license materials were much easier for me.

That's the deal. For me, I had to buckle down and commit to studying on a regular basis and focus. My goal was to learn the material, not just pass the test. I knew if I learned it, I'd pass. I took a crapload of practice tests, once I felt like I had a good grip on the material and was doing real well on the practice... I went and took the test.
The hardest thing for me was that computer monitor was like 21" and the test was in about an 10" box in the middle of the screen, and there was nothing I could do to enlarge it. Stupidest thing I've ever dealt with. And of course, I forgot my glasses also so I had a massive headache by the end. :twitchy:

Back