Who Underwrites Sleep Apnea for Life Insurance

HealthGuy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Are there any life carriers that accept folks with sleep apnea? Any help would be greatly appreciated to a newer member like me. Thanks in advance.

The Rock. I wrote a couple cases last year with sleep apnea and found Prudential to lead the pack. Most companies will write sleep apnea depending on how severe, but Pru has the most favorable underwriting.

Are there any life carriers that accept folks with sleep apnea? Any help would be greatly appreciated to a newer member like me. Thanks in advance.

Are they on a cpap machine or oxygen? This is what most underwriters will want to know.

Thanks guys for the replies....Great posts! Pru or Genworth may work - however, I was hoping to maybe find another company with a non med term - he is looking for what he can get for under $50 per month...and doesn't need a lot of life insurance...Fidelity won't take him with the sleep apnea, nor will Assurity (both non med)...I also wanted to avoid the underwriting because he is in his 50s, and 6-1 and 249 pounds and isn't using the CPap machine (it didnt work for him) so he stopped using it...if he has a nurse visit, they probably will find something else wrong with him and rate him up way too high...Any more ideas? Sorry, this is a tough case but I trust the expertise on this forum.

I had a case similar to this case last summer, best offer was a table 4 due to the fact he is non compliant not using CPAP, and I really had a fight to get that offer. Normal Sleep Apnea, in compliance, can typically get Std Plus with many companies.

He's got a 33 BMI. Is he family? How committed are you? You may not be able to give him much of anything under $50 a month. He more than likely would table elsewhere or be a decline. Good luck.

I had a case similar to this case last summer, best offer was a table 4 due to the fact he is non compliant not using CPAP, and I really had a fight to get that offer. Normal Sleep Apnea, in compliance, can typically get Std Plus with many companies.

I have sleep apnea, or at least was diagnosed with it. Someone who really has it will be lethargic during the day and often fall asleep at times during the day. This is a special danger for those behind the wheel for obvious reasons.

Mine came on when I ballooned in weight right after retirement... got fat and lazy. The important factor is neck size... reduce that and you are back to "normal", but once you get a diagnosis, it hangs on you like a smelly rag.

The TIME you continue with sleep apnea is what is important... I had a friend of mine who is a thoracic surgeon tell me that whenever he opens a chest, he can spot someone who has sleep apnea immediately... his heart is enlarged on one side (can't remember if it is the left or right) from having to pump harder to get enough blood to carry the depleted oxygen to the body.

When I lost weight, my lethargy went away, and I no longer snored (according to my wife). I keep the CPAP by bedside, but dain to use it. If I start getting sleepy during the day, I will return to using it, and go on a diet again!

I suspect U/W should know this, but once a diagnosis is made, they are going to play it safe and plug it into the formula. As one doctor arrogantly told me... "you can't just decide on your own how to treat your condition!" I don't go to that doctor anymore. Just because I don't have an MD doesn't mean I am dumb. (? I am just dumb without an MD!
:D)

Use this info with a grain of salt... I just want to point out three things: 1) sleep apnea is potentially fatal 2) medical doctors are informed, but not always reasonable about how to treat it 3) the rules lag the science.

Back