Who writes poorly maintained homeowners in NY?

Heather

Guru
100+ Post Club
NY
Customer bought the home 4 years ago in rough shape. Policy is being non-renewed, I guess the carrier feels they had enough time to buy a bucket of paint.

Peeling paint/dry rot on one side of home
woodstove, piles of wood all over property covered in tarps
messy yard, ladders, mowers, three-wheelers, lots of stuff sitting around
discolored siding

does have a good roof

Tried, nycm, safeco, foremost, leatherstocking, Broome-co-op, mercury... all said hell no.

Any suggestions? Customer states they have no money to fix up the home's appearance

Does New York have a FAIR plan?
My State Farm agent in KS told me to check on that here a number of years ago when State Farm would not insure a home I owned.

I suspect the hoarding is a significant issue with the insurance companies and the owner is going to have to make some choices between stuff and maintenance or insurance coverage. It is an extremely difficult emotional choice which the homeowner may be unable to make--and you may be unable to help them as a result--regardless of how much sympathy/empathy you have for their situation.

Last edited:
I think this is NY's equivalent to a FAIR plan:

NYPIUA Home page

You can also check the surplus lines brokers. They often have markets for non-standard homes.

Hope you understand that your customer will pay a lot more money for more restrictive coverage.

went to the nypiua site it was $701 for a 200k fire policy then another $136 for contents saw nothing for liability. I may send this client elsewhere and make it some one else's problem. I feel bad but it was $450 yearly premium so not a big loss. More worried about getting a bad name from an angry customer.

went to the nypiua site it was $701 for a 200k fire policy then another $136 for contents saw nothing for liability.

Yes, that's explained by the word "property" in New York Property Insurance Underwriting Association. :yes:

You will need to get him a separate liability policy, likely through a surplus lines broker. But if you have to go that route, you might as well get a homeowners policy at high risk rates or dwelling fire forms combined with a liability endorsement.

I may send this client elsewhere and make it some one else's problem.

Or that.

went to the nypiua site it was $701 for a 200k fire policy then another $136 for contents saw nothing for liability. I may send this client elsewhere and make it some one else's problem. I feel bad but it was $450 yearly premium so not a big loss. More worried about getting a bad name from an angry customer.

He couldn't be bothered to put any effort into his home for 4 years. Exactly how angry and how much effort is he willing to put into giving you a bad name? Plus, everyone in town can see how bad his home is, how much credence will they give his complaints anyway?

I would not write this at all. Sounds like a bad risk.

There are insurance companies that specialize in writing bad risks. I worked for one of them before I retired. We charged plenty of money for people who couldn't get insurance anywhere else. The company had consistent underwriting profit (plus investment income on top of that) and we all got bonuses every year.

Even a bad risk can be a good risk.

You've said some pretty stupid things here. This has got to be one of the top ten, though.

I think he just said a company he worked for made money writing policies you would not write. Don't see much stupid about that.

Back