Who's selling Mutual of Omaha Med Supps?

Not that many T65 tobacco users but I believe MOO and UHC charge a tobacco rate. Some carriers will give T65 non-tob rates.

And the pre-ex thing when T65 does not have prior creditable coverage. Some carriers impose an exclusion for p-x, some do not. I started a thread about p-x. Might want to search for it. Several folks chimed in about which impose a p-x limit. Believe UHC does. Don't recall if MOO was mentioned or not.

With the price of Obamacare policies (not subsidized) I am seeing more people than normal that have been going bare.

I had not even considered the p-x for T65. I guess I just wrongly assumed that T65 kind of reset things. I'm going in search of the thread. Thanks for the direction.

And I haven't run across a lot of smokers but I've had a few. Who are a couple of carriers that have non-tobacco rates?

So, now I'm questioning my reasoning on med supp carriers. I am selling mostly UHC because I bought into the talk that they have the largest market share and the most stable increases. MOO second for smoker's rates and HH discount.

In my area UHC has a “hidden rate increase” they call a discount. Policy holders lose 1/10th of their “discount” each year which is a cleverly worded extra rate increase.

I’m surprised that more companies haven’t jumped on that bandwagon. That way they can have built in rate increases without ever disclosing them as rate increases. Very clever.

In my area UHC has a “hidden rate increase” they call a discount. Policy holders lose 1/10th of their “discount” each year which is a cleverly worded extra rate increase.

I’m surprised that more companies haven’t jumped on that bandwagon. That way they can have built in rate increases without ever disclosing them as rate increases. Very clever.
You're right...I tell people that the whole community based pricing scheme is just smoke and mirrors. UHC can claim "one price for everyone" but this is nonsense because the net effect of an evaporating discount is that their rates go up annually just like an attained age plan.

Uggghhhh. This crap game has been going on 10+years. Here's the Texas answer. YMMV

"Here's how the rates work. Take out the B rated Fred Farkle carriers. Take out Blue. That leaves you Aetna, Cigna, MOO, AARP, etc. AARP hasn't been competitive in years, because they own the MAPD market. Then you have the game. Each year someone is the low cost leader. Then 3 years from now they will close that company and have a new one, with low, great rates. If you can get through underwriting, no problem. We move you. If you get sick, you're stuck. Or you go on Blue, pay an extra $400/year and not play the game. I'm fine with chasing the lower premium, if you promise not to yell at me in 3 years if I can't move you".

pre-ex thread
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/medigap-with-pre-ex-waiting-period.95298/

BFLIC, New Era, PALIC offer N/T rates to T65. I believe all the Aetna carriers do likewise.

Anthem, MOO, Humana charge tobacco rates.

Thanks for this. I have BFLIC and Aetna. I never noticed that they have non-tobacco rates.

Interesting, p&c carriers do that too but I never really considered it was a built in rate increase.

I have BFLIC and Aetna. I never noticed that they have non-tobacco rates.

You have to know the secret handshake.

BF calls them preferred.

I haven't written any of the Aetna carriers since they stopped paying commission on GI. They may call them preferred as well.

If you use CSG toggle between tobacco / non-tobacco and you can see the rate differential.

You have to dig through the underwriting guide to figure out if they offer NT rates to IEP applicants. Sometimes you can't find it and have to ask the carrier.

Back