Why am I a contactor?

Halezmum

So, a few months back I took a position with a staffing company as what they termed a "customer service rep" for a health insurance company. After all was said and done, I currently hold an A&H license in 14 states, and spend my day in a call center answering claim inquiries, rate inquiries, and selling renewals for a certain acronym'ed senior organization (cough AARP cough) I also sell Medicare supplement plans (not Advantage).

My hourly pay sucks, and the "scorecard" used to calculate my bonus is a joke. I could sell 100 new med supps and if my hold time or lack of membership sales throws off my "metrics" I get no bonus for the month.

Since I hold the same A&H license, why can't I just do this on my own? My dad sold AFLAC back in the 70's-80's and was amazing at it. Unfortunately, he had a stroke recently and he just isn't the same for complicated discussions about things.

Thanks for any advice.

You can go out on your own, and perhaps you should, but make sure you have a good plan and are prepared. On your own means you are truly on your own. The risk is considerable, but the rewards can be anything from low to high. You will need to find clients and sell the, which will cost you time and money. Expenses are your responsibility. Revenue will be slow to build, talking years.

Call center = people call you, low pay, you are building a block for someone else.

Independent = phone never rings, you have to find people, starve for 2 - 5 years, make lots of money, life is good

You can get with an existing agency and get up to speed earning in a month or sooner. Make them take you out with them and show you precisely what they're doing. Ideally they would let you do what you can handle until they make themselves progressively unnecessary. AFLAC and many others would have you do ALL your own prospecting. Some will try to sell you leads till you're actually in debt instead of making money. Some have complicated commission and bonus programs that can also get you in debt due to improperly structured advances. If your as good in person as you are on the phone you'll do way better but that's a big IF. Test drive it first.before you buy, and like a car, don't leave yourself without wheels!

Back