Why is Auto-Insurance in NYC So Expensive for a 20 Year Old?

Yoda123

I want to buy a car, so I have been running hypothetical scenarios for quotes on multiple insurance websites. I am thinking about getting a Civic from the 90's. However, when I do an insurance quote, the semi is $3000+. My parents don't drive, so I can't get on an insurance plan with them. Is there anyway I can get a reasonable car insurance quote?

In NYC? Have you driven there? It's not if you'll get in an accident, it's when! Especially at 20.

My first day working in the city, I learned if you don't like the way the ambulances drive, stay off the sidewalks.

My second day I learned that the lane divider lines were just mere suggestions for taxis.

My third day, I learned to not hesitate at a traffic light, either in stopping or going. Pedestrians will overrun your car.

My fourth day I learned a bad lesson about the squeegee guys.

On and on.... fortunately, outside of being rear-ended in the lincoln tunnel (the guy behind me slipped on ice), I didn't have any serious accidents.

My suggestion: Take a taxi or the subway, much cheaper. You can't park in the city anyway.

Dan

I live in Brooklyn right now. I know driving in the city can be a hassle most of the time. But I live in a pretty isolated area of Brooklyn. It is a 30 minute walk to the nearest train station, and than a 50 minute ride into the city(Manhattan).

I'd really like to get a car right now. However, the insurance prices are unreasonable. Is it possible to negotiate insurance down? I'd be able to afford $200 - $300 a month at most.

It's because New York drivers are second only to New Jersey drivers in the contest to be the worst drivers. Twenty year old drivers in NYC only compound the felony!:swoon:

Buy yourself a good pair of sneakers, an umbrella, and a warm winter coat and walk to the train. Each month you will be saving on car insurance, gas, parking, and a car payment. After you've saved up enough money, move closer to the train station.

You can also try to get on your parents insurance. I paid about $300/month for insurance when I was 19 and lived Upstate. No, really upstate, 4 hours from the city. Your best bet would be to see if your parents will let you be added to their insurance, then the price can go down quite a bit.

You can also try to get on your parents insurance. I paid about $300/month for insurance when I was 19 and lived Upstate. No, really upstate, 4 hours from the city. Your best bet would be to see if your parents will let you be added to their insurance, then the price can go down quite a bit.

His post stated his parents don't drive so he can't get on their policy either.

His post stated his parents don't drive so he can't get on their policy either.

Der der derrr. He could probably add them to the policy (which technically he should do anyway) and it's still end up cheaper. I wonder why his parents wouldn't drive if they live sooo far away from everything.

But if they don't drive and don't have a license, then they can't be added to the policy. If they do have a license, then they can be added, but it is doubtful it will be any cheaper.

Reason for being on the parents policy is for the multi-car discount, auto/home discount, sometimes new driver discounts, etc, none of which would apply in this case.

The only way to lower the rates here is to make it a liability only type of policy, but even those can be expensive in NYC.

Dan

Back