Why isn't Progressive Covering my Accident

sanheck

Hi.

I just bought a used car, already transfered title and everything at the DMV (no bill of sale required in California).
Got into an at-fault accident, rear ended someone. I didn't report the accident so my company had to call me about the accident.

They told me they won't insure me until I provide my bill of sale. What is this? How do I fight this? I should be covered???

Questions - How long after you bought the car did you have your accident? Did you notify Progressive of the new vehicle prior to the accident?

Obviously Progressive wants to see when the vehicle was purchased in order to process the claim. I will guess that your policy has standard language which would cover any vehicle listed on the policy plus any vehicle you become the owner of during the policy period so long as you notify Progressive within 30 days of purchase. You failed to notify Progressive of the accident and you have a receipt from your DMV as to when you transferred the title so Progressive is making you prove that they would be responsible for the claim.

I never had auto insurance before buying this car. I purchased my policy and stated what car I had wen I signed up so I don’t know why this is a “new” car other than the title was transferred a month ago

So if I never get bill of sale I will never be covered for this car? Doesn’t make sense

On what date did you purchase the car, do you have anything verifying that date?

On what date did you purchase the policy from Progressive?

On what date did you transfer the title at the DMV?

On what date did the accident take place?

Thanks, so according to this, you held title to the vehicle before the accident? Is Progressive aware of this, have you offered to show them the title in your name dated prior to the accident? Also, do you have a receipt from the purchase or a cancelled check?

Back