Why sales training is critical, new agent or not!

G

I see several questions about what to sell, who the best companies are, how to hire, etc.

It doesn't matter! If you do not have excellent training combined with quality leads (and tools) you won't sell up to your potential, you'll be mediocre.

If you write 1 out 10 people you get on the phone (or in person) you need better training. If you don't ever get in touch with anyone, you need better leads.

I'm training an agency who generates their own exclusive leads and in just four weeks saw a 25% increase in sales/closing. They had good leads, lacked in training.

Think about it: Good leads + bad/no training or bad leads + good/great training = failure

Why do I get the feeling we're about to be "sold" something?

Because you're skeptical. I'm not selling anything except insurance, do you need any?

What I said is accurate, sales people mostly suck, that's why sales is a revolving door, a rep quits and goes somewhere else, and still sucks, hello??!?!! It's them, not the jobs!!

They need training!!

Do people respond well to you when you speak like this?

I was merely illustrating a point because you either didn't get it or maybe you just needed to be heard without any foundation to what you were saying.

Regardless, try insulting your little brother, adults might be too much for you.

PS: Even in jest, I asked for the sale!! :)

Ever hear the story about Henry Ford? He bought a humongous life insurance policy and his friend who sold life said "how come you didn't buy it from me?' Ford replied "you didn't ask!"

Robliano,

I agree with you about training. Training shortens the learning curves and makes it easier for someone who has the tools to succeed. If you read the posts of the new people trying to come into this business or the people all ready in it you realize how that very few places are doing any meaningful training.

very few places are doing any meaningful training

Meaningful training consists of a script, rating software and a list of names.

The career shops of the past are no more, even in the life insurance business.

At one time MOO was an excellent base for someone to learn the health insurance business from a quality company.

But carriers disengaged from the career shop and migrated into FMO's & GA's. An agent, new or old, will get product training but not sales training.

The best way for a rookie (or anyone for that matter) to learn their trade is working with a mentor. The best training in the world comes from watching a master in action.

.....The best way for a rookie (or anyone for that matter) to learn their trade is working with a mentor. The best training in the world comes from watching a master in action.

I absolutely, totally agree with you! I think newbies should go to work in this business wherever they can find a true topgunproducer they can learn from. Once they learn to sell they can go and do whatever they want.

Meaningful training consists of a script, rating software and a list of names.

The career shops of the past are no more, even in the life insurance business.

At one time MOO was an excellent base for someone to learn the health insurance business from a quality company.

But carriers disengaged from the career shop and migrated into FMO's & GA's. An agent, new or old, will get product training but not sales training.

The best way for a rookie (or anyone for that matter) to learn their trade is working with a mentor. The best training in the world comes from watching a master in action.

And where would an agent find this benevolent master?

Back