Why Underwriter's Deserve To Rot In Hell

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
Perfect example. My agency writes about 30 dwelling fires for a guy who keeps his properties in excellent condition. Upon inspection, one of the tenants has a small kiddy pool outside in a fenced yard. The company writes out saying it must be removed with a signed statement confirming it won't be replaced & a photo.

Insured says "how am I going to sign something saying it won't be replaced when I have no control over what they may do over the coming years?" I agree.

I call up & scum bag rat piece of $hit underwriter says "Well if he signs that letter then we can use it to deny a claim." I said "if it were you personally, would you sign a letter like that knowing it can be used against you if a tenant doesn't listen to your orders? Do you think this guy is going to drive by the property daily during summer to make sure the tenant doesn't put the pool back up? I meen cmon here this is just not reasonable

Her response "it's unreasonable yes, but that's what we require, sorry."

Perfect example. My agency writes about 30 dwelling fires for a guy who keeps his properties in excellent condition. Upon inspection, one of the tenants has a small kiddy pool outside in a fenced yard. The company writes out saying it must be removed with a signed statement confirming it won't be replaced & a photo.

Insured says "how am I going to sign something saying it won't be replaced when I have no control over what they may do over the coming years?" I agree.

I call up & scum bag rat piece of underwriter says "Well if he signs that letter then we can use it to deny a claim." I said "if it were you personally, would you sign a letter like that knowing it can be used against you if a tenant doesn't listen to your orders? Do you think this guy is going to drive by the property daily during summer to make sure the tenant doesn't put the pool back up? I meen cmon here this is just not reasonable

Her response "it's unreasonable yes, but that's what we require, sorry."

That's the worst part about personal lines insurance, the underwriters see everything in black and white, and don't understand that there should be an accessible gray area. It's probably the most frustrating part of writing home and auto policies.

I don't understand how you correspond with people like this (UW's...) all day & not come to just loathe their existence.

u/w has indeed changed drastically .. on the commercial side as well.

It depends on the underwriter but most underwriters are very black and white thinkers.

where as producers and people in marketing are not .. THUS the butting of heads.

This is where my rep helps me .. I know there is threads bashing company reps but good ones will be the driving force that keeps u/w in check internally.

We just had a meeting with Hartford yesterday and told them point blank as to why we aren't writing much with them and have moved a number of accounts from them. It's not rocket science, arrogant and stubborn underwriters will kill your books but they don't get it apparently.

I have honestly never had an experience like that with one of my PL underwriters. For the most part they are all level headed and think in those gray areas. Sometimes I can get frustrated with one carrier that demands to see inspections or proof of repairs after there's a claim paid out on a property (Even if it wasn't the new insured's property yet).

That said, if the tenants have their own renters policy, the landlord isn't really giving anything up with that signed form. They're only going to exclude losses due to that kiddie pool; not all losses.

u/w has indeed changed drastically .. on the commercial side as well. It depends on the underwriter but most underwriters are very black and white thinkers. where as producers and people in marketing are not .. THUS the butting of heads. This is where my rep helps me .. I know there is threads bashing company reps but good ones will be the driving force that keeps u/w in check internally.

Yes, luckily we have 2 carriers with great underwriters and reps that work together to help us get accounts. On the flip side the personal lines for those carriers is the complete opposite.

Its because some skank in the home office gets a cushy salary & benefit package and doesn't have to go out there and hustle up new biz day after day to pay the bills. They have no clue what its like working strictly commission.

Its because some skank in the home office gets a cushy salary & benefit package and doesn't have to go out there and hustle up new biz day after day to pay the bills. They have no clue what its like working strictly commission.

It would seem to me that the only Leverage you have with these anal Underwriters... Is taking your business to their competitors.

And on the way out the door, a phone call to the Head of marketing operations with a nice little phone message that you'll be "spreading the word" about so-and-so in their underwriting department.

Back