Why Your Phone Prospect Lost Interest 1 Sentence in

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
A new HubSpot blog piece says voice tone on the phone accounts for 86% of a listener’s experience while words comprise just 14% - so it’s easy for a prospect to “check out: after the first sentence if the caller’s voice tone is off.

From the piece:

3 Common Voice Tone Mistakes
1) The rep’s tone is robotic
2) The rep sounds bored and distracted
3) The rep allows negative emotions to affect their voice

3 Ways to Improve Your Voice Tone
1) Keep the conversation upbeat
2) Emphasize specific benefits with your voice tone
3) Be serious when it’s time to be serious

The author elaborates on all the points in the link below. For selling over the phone, you frequently hear “it’s not what you say but how you say it.” There’s a ton of scripts being used out there, but do those scripts sometimes come with any guidance about the most effective voice tone or demeanor?

Why Your Buyer Lost Interest 1 Sentence Into Your Call

A new HubSpot blog piece says voice tone on the phone accounts for 86% of a listener’s experience while words comprise just 14% - so it’s easy for a prospect to “check out: after the first sentence if the caller’s voice tone is off.

From the piece:

3 Common Voice Tone Mistakes
1) The rep’s tone is robotic
2) The rep sounds bored and distracted
3) The rep allows negative emotions to affect their voice

3 Ways to Improve Your Voice Tone
1) Keep the conversation upbeat
2) Emphasize specific benefits with your voice tone
3) Be serious when it’s time to be serious

The author elaborates on all the points in the link below. For selling over the phone, you frequently hear “it’s not what you say but how you say it.” There’s a ton of scripts being used out there, but do those scripts sometimes come with any guidance about the most effective voice tone or demeanor?

I agree 100%. When I type out scripts or talking points for my people I always put in there to smile when you talk. It is amazing how much happier you sound and how much that helps. Sounding robotic and bored is an immediate hang up most times.

I agree 100%. When I type out scripts or talking points for my people I always put in there to smile when you talk. It is amazing how much happier you sound and how much that helps. Sounding robotic and bored is an immediate hang up most times.

I have a really hard time with my "scripts". That's why I am on here. As a whole we are struggling a little in the office and my quote generation comes from telemarketing. Some weeks I get a decent quote/answer ratio and then some I just get the rude customers or hang ups. Not sure what is different because the script is close to the same every time I pick up the phone. I always remember to smile and make sure that I am not that horrible telemarketer they accidently answered again.

Does anyone have any KEY words that they have found really hinder or help the quote process?

If you're doing the job right... you aren't going to get 100% yes's every time you pick up the phone.

People have bad days. Some people have mental illnesses. Some people were kept up all night by the rowdy neighbors next door.

There are more reasons for people to be rude or not be interested... and they have NOTHING to do with you.

Control what you can control... and leave the rest up to the law of large numbers.

Back