Will Charging More Raise Premiums?

J26781

I am a young man on Medicare (yes, Medicare; I am disabled). I take Medicare-provided transportation to a daily mental health program to which I go. There are other transportation options, like public transportation, available, but the Medicare-provided is the best. I am worried about what will happen if I ever get off Medicare and have to pay for a standard health insurance policy. Will the fact that I charged so much transportation costs to my insurance in the past make me pay higher premiums were I to apply for a standard health insurance policy?

Under the current system (Obamacare) you could not be charged a higher premium regardless of benefit utilization under the new plan nor under previous coverage.

No others responded because dave20 answered it correctly. You would pay the same rate as your healthy neighbor of the same age. (ACA Law / Obamacare)

Is it true that this was true under the former system as well? I don't want to be stuck if Obamacare gets overturned (although I'm aware this is not going to happen under the current administration).

If you worry about what the future will bring, you either will need to run for office or find a crystal ball. Its impossible to answer your question to your satisfaction, there are no guarantees for this moving forward.

Personally, I think you have a moral responsibility to the taxpayers of America to do your part in keeping your medical care costs to as low as practical. If you need the transportation, great, use it. If you can use public transit, then by all means use that. This judgement call is in your eyes, apparently medicare feels your disability warrants at least the opportunity to use it. I'm not disagreeing with that.

If for some reason we went back to 10 years ago, your disability would probably play a bigger role in you finding insurance then the cost of medical transportation.

Dan

Back