Will insurer cancel/refuse to renew my policy for at fault accident by my daughter?

pblawman

***posted same question on another forum***

My daughter has had 2 at fault accidents in the past year. Fortunately the only damage was to property, but I'm curious what the impact on my insurance coverage will be.
  • Will they drop me altogether because the accidents were on my account?
  • Will they refuse to issue coverage unless I exclude my daughter from coverage?
  • Can I protect my premium cost by dropping my daughter from coverage myself?
I'm already viewing her as an unacceptable risk, so I find it hard to believe that my insurer will see it differently.

Google independent insurance agent plus your zip code to find an agent so that you have an agent who will talk to you.

Depending on the state you are in, if your daughter lives with you, you may have to exclude her from the policy. If she drives or has access to your vehicle she may be required to be on your policy. This is state dependent.

If you are in Nevada message me and I will give you my number.

Thanks. I was able to speak with an agent at Geico. I was told that I wouldn't likely be dropped, but the additional risk would be reflected in my premium. I could remove my daughter if she either moved out of the house or obtained her own insurance. I also could have her excluded from coverage, which would put me on the hook for any incidents that occur if she were to drive my vehicle.

I have Geico...I'm not sure who to ask there.

How about reading your policy? There's a section in the policy booklet that explains how and when an auto policy can be cancelled or non-renewed. It should be in the last 4 or 5 pages of the policy booklet.

The cancellation provisions in the policy conform to the CA cancellation/non-renewal statute which you can read here:

Codes Display Text (ca.gov)

Will they drop me altogether because the accidents were on my account?

Possibly. No way to predict. You will just have to wait and see. A midterm cancellation, though possible, is unlikely. A non-renewal or hefty increase in premium is more likely.

Will they refuse to issue coverage unless I exclude my daughter from coverage?

I don't think any insurance company is allowed to "demand" that. They can just refuse to cover you and your household and it would be up to you to request a named driver exclusion if it's available.

Can I protect my premium cost by dropping my daughter from coverage myself?

Protect your premium? Probably not. The accidents happened with a driver covered by your policy. You're going to be surcharged for them whether you stay with GEICO or get insured elsewhere.

A named driver exclusion, if you can get it, will facilitate you "getting" coverage but it won't eliminate the surcharge.

And you, yourself, have explained why it would be foolish to do so.

I also could have her excluded from coverage, which would put me on the hook for any incidents that occur if she were to drive my vehicle.

It would only be foolish to have a named driver exclusion if I intend to let her drive any of my vehicles. I don't.

Back