Will Shared Internet Leads Become Illegal? Are They Now?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
Here is the problem:

-Consumer goes online and fills out a form, giving permission to contact
-Consumer tells the first agent to call, "thank you for your help, please don't call me again"
-None of the other agents should have the right to contact that person anymore without risking a DNC violation

It's unclear to me why that hasn't been more of a problem yet, perhaps because they're still busy trying to clean up this mess, but I don't think shared internet leads are sustainable. Eventually someone is going to have force them to have a single opt-out process so that when they tell one agent not to call anymore, all of them have to stop calling.

Arguably, and I think it's a good argument, it is a clear violation of DNC regulations to continue to contact a prospect once they have already expressed that they are not interested in receiving any more calls from any agent. In fact, even if they weren't on the DNC list to begin with, when they go to someinsurancesite.com and put in their info giving permission to be contacted about a quote, and then *any* representative calls them back and they ask to no longer be called, even if they weren't on the DNC list, they are supposed to be added to that organizations DNC list.

I fully understand that each agent/agency is it's own entity, but no consumer is opting-in intentionally to be contacted 100 times a month about insurance (or anything else for that matter).

Do you think the laws and enforcement agencies will catch up with this?

Josh said:
Here is the problem:

-Consumer tells the first agent to call, "thank you for your help, please don't call me again"
-None of the other agents should have the right to contact that person anymore without risking a DNC violation

It's unclear to me why that hasn't been more of a problem yet, perhaps because they're still busy trying to clean up this mess, but I don't think shared internet leads are sustainable. Eventually someone is going to have force them to have a single opt-out process so that when they tell one agent not to call anymore, all of them have to stop calling.

Arguably, and I think it's a good argument, it is a clear violation of DNC regulations to continue to contact a prospect once they have already expressed that they are not interested in receiving any more calls from any agent. In fact, even if they weren't on the DNC list to begin with, when they go to someinsurancesite.com and put in their info giving permission to be contacted about a quote, and then *any* representative calls them back and they ask to no longer be called, even if they weren't on the DNC list, they are supposed to be added to that organizations DNC list.

I fully understand that each agent/agency is it's own entity, but no consumer is opting-in intentionally to be contacted 100 times a month about insurance (or anything else for that matter).

If the site they signed up with clearly said SEVERAL agents will compete for your business, I believe they need to tell SEVERAL agents not to call.

I always tell everyone to never put their real name, address or phone into any insurance website when researching and to use a junk email address as it is about to become a spam folder.

Good post Josh.

IMHO, Terms & Conditions on the sites the consumer signs up at is the "legal" definition of what can/cannot be done.

But, who reads the T&C? Most ignore them from Google to Amazon...they just click & go on.

So the leads I generate I know more than 1 agent can contact them per our legal team. But, we have no idea what T & C the consumer signed up for when we buy from others.

I flat Guarantee you that no consumer signed up for his personal data to be spread & sold over & over again.

On a plane, Captain says we have to shut down.....more later!

Here is the problem:

This is a very good point and I think you are correct. Eventually the law will catch up with technology.

This is a very good point and I think you are correct. Eventually the law will catch up with technology.

And more and more American will sit in their living rooms watching a big screen tv they can't afford and think, "Man, I really could use some life insurance/health insurance/I'm paying too much for my car insurance/etc. I really wish I knew how to find an agent who could help me with this."

And more and more American will sit in their living rooms watching a big screen tv they can't afford and think, "Man, I really could use some life insurance/health insurance/I'm paying too much for my car insurance/etc. I really wish I knew how to find an agent who could help me with this."

Right, because the one agent calling them would be insufficient. They need at least a dozen to explain it to them when they want it.

Right, because the one agent calling them would be insufficient. They need at least a dozen to explain it to them when they want it.

I never said that. But knowing government, they won't stop it at sharing the lead to multiple agents. They'll just completely stop agents from calling.

I never said that. But knowing government, they won't stop it at sharing the lead to multiple agents. They'll just completely stop agents from calling.

I hate to be like this, but that's absurd. There is no reason why people can't go online and request information about any product. The problem is when they are constantly harassed by unwanted calls they never expected.

If the government wanted to play hardball, they'd require that consumers click some kind of button that allows them to opt out of calls and require "clearer language" in bold print on the main page.

Back