Will You Write Plans at 0% Commission?

AgentStone

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Many of the major carriers are not paying comish in 2017.

Many of our clients are on these company plans and will likely want to stay with them (if offered) because of their networks...

- Will you write plans with these carriers at 0% comish?
- If yes, why?
- If no, what are you telling these clients?

Many of our clients are on these company plans and will likely want to stay with them (if offered) because of their networks...

- If yes, why?

No

NA

I don't work for free and neither would you if our situations were reversed

1. VERY sparingly will take care of existing clients who are going on Medicare within 24 months.
2. Because I want to be their Medicare agent.

If all commissions go to 0% (I am 90% sure they will), I am not taking on any new Obamacare clients and the existing clients who don't fit the demographic above on which I have no hopes of earning any money are being directed to the exchange with an apology. I am telling them that submitting an application through HC.gov cost me money (true, in terms of time and proposed WBE fees), and I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars when I will not be paid anything. I have to be able to support my family.

People working for free earn less than people who will work for food standing on the corner holding their sign...

Like TN, sparingly and for a fee even for those.

If you have a spouse or other immediate family member that has a product in my office and you are already my ACA client, you get served for a fee.

If you are already an ACA client and entering Medicare witihin 24 months, you get served for a fee.

If you don't match those two, you are SOL, so sorry.

Absolutely NO new ACA clients unless I happen to also be writing their spouse during the medicare AEP, then you get the same ticket as others that fit that category.

Off exchange clients with BCBS get a review and enrollment... 3% is the rate on those. No new off exchange business either, even at 3% it is not worth the liability and time to take on a new client. Existing clients don't take that much time/effort.

- If yes, why?

only if they agree to buy another product in advance, or if they are a close friend or relative.

Yes! After 36 years in this business, I have learned to value referrals that come from clients who know that I will give them the answer that meets their needs the best, regardless of how much I get paid. It builds trust. They send referrals. They buy other products. I make money. So, 0% is just one unpleasant blip in the road.

However, I will not spend excessive time on it. I will let them know that I don't get paid, and they can send referrals for situations where I do get paid.... like the following:

Group - I am writing a lot of group, for people who qualify, and it's a better choice for those clients anyway.

STM - It's open season after OEP is over. If the person went past OEP, is uninsured without an SEP option, and can't qualify for group, I'll write it. With full disclosure about the pre-ex clause and other limitations, of course.

Ancillary - Group dental, life, vision, STD, LTD, etc. Individual Life.

Last edited:
Like TN, sparingly and for a fee even for those.

If you have a spouse or other immediate family member that has a product in my office and you are already my ACA client, you get served for a fee.

If you are already an ACA client and entering Medicare witihin 24 months, you get served for a fee.

If you don't match those two, you are SOL, so sorry.

Absolutely NO new ACA clients unless I happen to also be writing their spouse during the medicare AEP, then you get the same ticket as others that fit that category.

Off exchange clients with BCBS get a review and enrollment... 3% is the rate on those. No new off exchange business either, even at 3% it is not worth the liability and time to take on a new client. Existing clients don't take that much time/effort.

- - What fee are you charging?
- - Do you need a certain designation/certification to charge a fee or can any agent charge one?

So is there even an option to buy off of the exchange? Is there any benefit?

But either way I'm going to have a hard time finding an agent to help me?

As an agent myself, I am contracted with all the carriers in my network, or could be if I need to.

Is this information I could find for myself with a little digging?

No pay no play... referrals from a zero comp client is worthless for those selling indy plans.... if you write a plan for free you are the problem with this system.... send a message, don't be a fool, stay in school and school taught me no pay no play

Back