Wind Mitigation Question

FloridaGal

We are shopping for a new homeowners policy in Florida. I received several quotes all in the same ballpark with the exception of one that was significantly lower. The agent for the lowest quote asked me to forward a wind mitigation report to him to see if we qualify for further discounts. I knew we wouldn't - we have impact windows, but not on every opening, and no impact doors on our 1975 home - but I forwarded it anyway.

He responded by saying that, based on that information, the policy premium would now be TWICE as expensive.

I was under the impression that the wind mitigation survey could only help you (via potential discounts) not hurt you. If I had known the quote would increase, I would've just said that we had not paid for an inspection.

I tried searching online for the law regarding this, but I just find info on potential discounts.

Was I misinformed? Can our premium go up after a wind inspection?

Thank you for any help or advice!

I am not a Florida agent, so I have little knowledge about how wind mitigation works in your state. But, agents are much the same around the country.

Since the premium was so much lower, I strongly suspect he was giving you some discounts for wind mitigation and hoping that your survey would be good enough to get you even more. When he got it, he realized that you didn't qualify for the discounts he had already included. The other agents either didn't include anything at all or apparently had gotten some info from you to suggest you wouldn't get much if any discount.

Did the quote or his emails include something to the effect, "All quotes are subject to verification of underwriting reports?"

Again, this is just my suspicion, but I bet I'm not too far off.

You are probably correct. But, no, neither the quote nor his email mention subject to underwriting. Even in the microscopic print. ;)

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. That would explain the lower quote.

Back