Windows 7 Released Today, What It Means For Insurance Agents

Pangaea

Guru
1000 Post Club
Being that I've been running Windows 7 on a partitioned machine since May of this year I actually forgot there's going to be a REAL release date...

No, not like the “real” vista release date which gave new meaning to the notion of "dead"lines.

Today, October 22, 2009 is the official release date of Windows 7 so I decided I'd might as well share my thoughts on the operating system and how it can affect how we do business.

Price / Cost
In terms of cost it doesn't appear to be worth paying to upgrade to unless you purchased a computer with Vista earlier this year (before the month of June – any Windows Vista licenses purchased after mid June are entitled to a free version of Windows 7 minus shipping and handling).

While it is a worthwhile upgrade within Team Redmond from the flagship XP operating system, Windows 7 is not that large of a leap to the average business user who's running Vista on multiple gigs of RAM, powerful processor, and great graphics card.

Yet, if you do feel you want the latest and greatest from Microsoft (and can't actually afford Microsoft Surface featured below) I recommend purchasing the Windows 7 Ultimate edition which is priced at $199 for an upgrade; $319.99 for a clean retail install. I do warn you that if you choose to upgrade from XP it will be a clean install and your hard drive will be formatted.

Eye Candy & Display
One thing of the first things I noticed was that the desktop wallpapers actually fade in and out as a slide show. Windows 7 is one the most visually attractive operating system that I've used this year. (my favorite being Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope with Compiz/Cube)

In terms of gadgets, they're no longer confined to the Windows Sidebar and you're now able to anchor them straight to the desktop (did anyone actually use that thing? I've always preferred Google's).

Explorer in Windows 7 also utilizes virtual folders (called libraries) that aggregate files from various locations and networked systems to present them in an amalgamated view. My favorite feature regarding the libraries is that you're able to suggest search filters as well as utilize Advanced Query Syntax filtering. You also are able to search external databases and “clouds” via federated search. As a professional who happens to personally run my CRM remotely in “the cloud” via Oracle (please don't kill me Mr. Ellison) it makes it cloud computing more "tangible" when it comes to browsing remote networks with multiple users.

Now for my favorite part: The task bar
The taskbar is not only larger than before it actually has actual functionality beyond shortcut and a clock. The quick launch toolbar has been exiled to the land of make believe and now the taskbar is more focused on the actual applications currently running. From pinning applications to viewing thumbnails like in Vista Ultimate (one of my favorite things to do with the thumbnails is to watch hulu.com via thumbnail) you're now able to interact with an enlarged thumbnail by simply hovering over it.

The right click has also been revamped on the taskbar as each application will have unique functionality depending on the program. For example, you can shuffle your music in media player via right click as well as open all recent documents via Word. We've definitely come a long way from right click Maximize.

There's also the Aero snap and Aero shake in order to more multiple windows around, but I'd rather just click on the desktop shortcut on the taskbar.

Crackberries & Palm Readers
This was something I found rather useful, the external device manager provider more relevant actions when I hook up my Windows Mobile smartphone up to the pc. The device manager goes as far as providing 2-way syncing and allows you to surf the device via Windows Explorer (as it appears on that dandy taskbar).

Performance & Engine
One, it definitely boots faster than Vista and it's a lighter operating system. One thing I did notice was that my computer's “Window's Experience Rating” was rated lower on Se7en which definitely was an ego killer.

Without having to go on about network driver interface specification and timer coalescing I will say that Se7en allocates system resources in a much more efficient manner allowing you to get better usage out of your available memory.

Put simply, it's faster than Vista.

The Padlock & Security
Windows Action Center allows you to choose four echelons of security notifications as well as offers some stuff that's just sure to bring the nerd in all of us alive including: biometrics and geo-tracking. Combine that with the multiple firewall support I haven't installed any antivirus software (not even AVG) and don't think I will if I upgrade to Se7en on my main machine.
-------------------------------------------------------------​
In conclusion, it's definitely a better operating system. Any software that you need to do business with that you're able to run on Vista you will not have any trouble running on Se7en.

If you're in dire need for a new computer my advice is to go ahead and get one with the newborn operating system and have fun taking it to its limits. But, if you don't need a new computer my advice is to keep whatever you're running.

And if you still have Vista and you're ready to slit your throat, but you're too cheap to upgrade or even downgrade? Might I recommend Ubuntu or Fedora?

In regards to the insurance business if you're not already leveraging of the technology available to you, you're probably not going to find Windows 7 much different in enabling your business-user experience. But, if you're managing a network for multiple agents, acting on the supply side for leads and new policy acquistion you will find Windows Se7en to be a welcome change.

Good luck and happy times.

-Malcolm Campbell

Feel free to read more articles written personally by me, Malcolm Campbell, on my company's blog: Internet Lead Generation Blog > LeadSquared.com

(Malcolm Campbell is Director of Technology & Internet Marketing at LeadSquared.com)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. We bought a new PC about a month ago and can upgrade free. I'm still debating whether it is worth it or not.

Depends on the the specs. If you have at least a 1.7 gig processor and two gigs of ram it's definitely something I'd consider.

I'd have to either wipe my hard drive or re-install everything. I'm not sure I even have the keys to most of my programs so the only way I'll be getting 7 is when I get a new computer...in a few years when Windows 24 is out.

I'm just going to stick with what I have. Windows XP. If it is not broke, why fix it? Nothing but problems with my computers that have windows vista. No way in hell I'm going to wipe my Hard DRive clean to put in windows 7.

If I buy a new computer, then I will go with windows 7.

We currently have Windows XP; will the transition to Window7 be difficult?

Yes and probably not worth it as you'll have to start all over. If you have XP Professional SP3 you might just want to hold off until you need new machines.

Mark I agree. I caved and bought an Iphone because it was a dramatic increase in functionality over my previous phone.

However, regarding my computer; I turn it on, use a few software programs, hit the net and that's it. My computer is extremely fast as it is.

In fact, from what I'm reading in tech news there are going to be significant changes in computers coming as soon as next year including no more "booting" - you turn it on and it's like flicking on a light switch.

I'll likely wait for the next significant change in computers then make a move which will obviously include the newest version of Windows.

Pangaea...Our PC has Vista Premium now. I'm not sure of the "specs" but I think it has 6GB of something and 640 or 750 of something else???

I would hate to mess up what we already have now.
Do you mind going to start > Right Click My Computer > and giving the specs?

I'd like to know what you're running exactly.

Also, you'll want several gigs of extra space available on your hard drive for the upgrade.

Back