Windows Vista

Jun 1, 2007

1. Expat

Expat Guru

State:
    Texas
    Does anyone know if it is feasible to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista.
    I have heard on the grapevine that most Insurance companies’ software is not compatible with Vista. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

Expat, Jun 1, 2007
  2. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    Personally, I never "beta" anything, especially an OS. I upgraded from 2000 to XP last year. Will probably wait 2 yrs at least on Vista.

If I need a new computer in the interim, and I never buy "new", always one that was only used on Sunday by a little old lady, I will buy it with XP.

You can ask your carriers, but my guess is most of them are behind the curve on Vista. Some of their software still runs on 95. Haven't seen any DOS software in a while, so that is a good sign . . .

somarco, Jun 2, 2007
  3. Wprice

Wprice Expert

Nationwides Agency Anywhere software works on DOS...

Wprice, Jun 2, 2007
  4. joshril

joshril Guru

State:
    Oregon
    I have a laptop with Vista... not too many incompatibillities with insurance software, but I have problems with my Lexmark printers and driver support is horrendous.. I've spent hours I could be selling messing with Vista problems.. Don't upgrade!!! I've thought about saving all my files and reverting to XP on the laptop

Not to mention it's a resource hog.. You really need a dual core processor and at the LEAST 1GB of RAM. Vista has some cool features, but they do not outweigh the current problems!

joshril, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Crabcake Johnny

Crabcake Johnny Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm the "if it's not broke then don't fix it" guy. I'd be on 2000 if it wasn't for a buddy of mine who installed XP for free. I don't need to launch the space shuttle. I need to read and compose email, run rates and get online. I could still be using my old 386 and probably run everything just fine.

6. Expat

Expat Guru

State:
    Texas
    Vista

Thanks, I have the Dual core/1 MG, but I think that I will hang on to XP for couple more years. Plus I think that BCBS Texas still uses parchment and quill pens for a lot of their functions.

Expat, Jun 2, 2007
  7. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    And they sell them at a discount to BX GA when they can't find their quill sharpener . . .

somarco, Jun 2, 2007
  8. Expat

Expat Guru

State:
    Texas
    If it"s not broke

I had my old computer for 8 years, (Pentium3/333mghz Win98) however Fortis software would not show properly and ran at the speed of molasses in December. In a case like that you have no option but to upgrade.

Expat, Jun 2, 2007
  9. Crabcake Johnny

Crabcake Johnny Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't use the new Assurant sofware - hate it. I do everything from my agent site.

10. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    When you guys are all done talking about computers let us know how the last Star Trek Convention went will ya!!!!!