Winning MAPD Business ?

Tim Resnick

Super Genius
Hi Friends,

I had a couple of questions on winning MAPD business.

QUESTION(s):

1. How tough is it to win MAPD business from another agent? It would seem that if an agent is not keeping in contact with their client base on a regular basis, insured might be persuaded to change to another agent (just for the attention).
  2. If you sign them up with the same carrier/plan is commission earned? My aunt asked me about this and i was hesitant to answer her since she would like to use me as her agent.
The market is pretty saturated in my area and i run into seniors who all have MAPD.

ANYWAY, i was waiting for my rep call, but i sure would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks~!

~T

Yeah, from what I understand that area is pretty much MA territory.

Yes it is Bob. So, the questions are:
  1. How tough is it to win MAPD business from another agent? It would seem that if an agent is not keeping in contact with their client base on a regular basis, insured might be persuaded to change to another agent (just for the attention).
  2. If you sign them up with the same Carrier/Plan is commission earned? a Senior Relative wants me to sign them up this OE season.
Anyway, Thanks for your constructive input...

Anyone know?
Thanks!

1) you don’t need to try to win it over another agent imo. I’m assuming you’re just talking about AEP here but I guess a better question is, how do you plan on finding your clients?
If it’s leads, then it sounds like they are shopping. So the first question to them is, do you like your current plan?

2) I’m not sure why you would sign up a client with the same company. You could do a AOR change but I don’t waste my time on them unless they specifically requested it, without me mentioning it.
If I talk to a T65 and they tell me they are on disability and have a mapd plan, I just ask them if they are happy with it. If they say yes, I tell them to have a great day.

Edit: after reading your post again it just seems like you want to target people already on mapd and you want people to do an AOR change to you. Sounds like a shady way to work but to each their own.

Tim, I am not an MA guy. Different territory (not dominated by MA plans) and MUCH different target client base. Can't answer your questions about AOR and how/if you are compensated for rewriting someone with the same carrier.

Those are good questions unless you want to end up doing service work for free.

I never ask what they like about their current coverage. If people are looking to make a change it is not because they LIKE their plan. Something about their current plan has put a burr in their saddle. If you can FIX the problem you pave the way to possibly earn their business.

"If you could change just ONE THING about your current coverage, what would that be?".

Most of what I do is T65 but I also replace coverage with other carriers (including MA). If replacing a Medigap plan I ask "Other than price, tell me something you do NOT like about your current plan".

Hope this helps

Are you talking AOR Change or Signing new plan?

As far as AOR change I think I have done 2 in my whole career, I only would even think about it if prev agent did something terrible and I am spending the time to fix. Otherwise, I feel its just stealing and I don't do it

As far as new plan most times I find its easy, But I stopped actively getting leads in FL because half of my MA people in FL want to reshop every AEP, Even if they end up with same plan (As they do most times) but its very time consuming, So I try to work less high maintenance area's

1) you don’t need to try to win it over another agent imo. I’m assuming you’re just talking about AEP here but I guess a better question is, how do you plan on finding your clients?
If it’s leads, then it sounds like they are shopping. So the first question to them is, do you like your current plan?

2) I’m not sure why you would sign up a client with the same company. You could do a AOR change but I don’t waste my time on them unless they specifically requested it, without me mentioning it.
If I talk to a T65 and they tell me they are on disability and have a mapd plan, I just ask them if they are happy with it. If they say yes, I tell them to have a great day.

Edit: after reading your post again it just seems like you want to target people already on mapd and you want people to do an AOR change to you. Sounds like a shady way to work but to each their own.

Thanks Chazm,

Forgive the beginner question BUT how could someone be on a MAPD and disability and T65 at the same time? I thought you had to T65 to be eligible for MAPD? (are you speaking of someone who's dual-enrolled? I don't know all those rules yet).

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Chazm,

Forgive the beginner question BUT how could someone be on a MAPD and disability and T65 at the same time? I thought you had to T65 to be eligible for MAPD? (are you speaking of someone who's dual-enrolled? I don't know all those rules yet).

Thanks for your help.

If you are on SS disability 2 years you get medicare regardless of age

Back