Wise to Call Other Driver's Insurance Company?

Battlegun

A week after an auto accident (one where I was at fault), my insurance told me that they would try and settle for an 80-20% liability. However, they also told me I could call the other driver's insurance company to help dispute that I was 80% at fault, and not 100%.

Should I call or not? If yes, then how should I best phrase my wording so that I'm not framing myself?

If this happened in California, the difference between being 51% at fault, 80% at fault or 100% at fault is absolutely nothing, unless perhaps serious injuries occurred.

I wouldn't waste my time, unless you are likely to go over your coverage limits for something. Since you didn't mention injuries, I'm assuming nothing major, so it really isn't worth the hassle.

The only things that matter usually are 49% (or less) at fault), 50% at fault or 51% (or more) at fault. Of course, if you go over coverage limits and might get personally sued, there may be more of a distinction, but as long as insurance is paying, it won't matter.

Dan

This feels like the company trying to get you to do the leg work to save them on the claim, for no personal benefit.

If they want to go 80/20, then they can negotiate it. It won't change your situation one bit.

Back