Word of Caution About Eating or Drinking from Prospects/clients Homes.

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
As a general rule, always carry a water bottle in with you on an appointment. If they ask you if you would like something to drink, show them your water bottle and decline. This is your way out of being rude. Also, if they offer you food, dont eat it. You can take it with you if you dont want to be rude, but dont eat it.

I just cant warn you enough about this.

You would not believe how many seniors believe that food will never spoil or go bad. How many of them allow their animals to run free in their kitchens and how nasty some of them can be.

I've heard many stories from insurance agents and dont take the chance of getting sick.

Mark,
1. Congrats on finding your soulmate. That's awesome.
2. I respectfully disagree about eating. I had a client share some of the best venison chili I ever had. They also sent me home with some horseradish we are still enjoying. You just need to pick your spots and be careful. After all, there are some homes where I wouldn't even sit down, let alone eat something.

You have to remember mark is in the FE market...

lol. good point!

It all depends on the house/people imo.

I once had an old lady insist I try her pot roast she was cooking... she had a $300k CD she was thinking about transferring to a FA... I was a starving young agent then and would have eaten that pot roast off the floor if it meant closing that case!!! (it was actually good, and I got half the CD money!)

I have also been introduced to Two Buck Chuck and one of the best Bordeauxs I have ever had the pleasure of tasting; both at clients houses.

So how many of you would take a drink (alchoholic) if a client offered it?

But I certainly understand where Mark is coming from. Ive been in a few houses that I didnt even want to sit down in!

Last edited:
Mark, good advice. The germification of anything makes me paranoid. Plus, we all have to remember it's that time of year where people are cooped up inside (especially seniors) and germs/bacteria are spread more easily. I also recommend that people carry hand-sanitizer.

scagnt83 said:
lol. good point!

It all depends on the house/people imo.

I once had an old lady insist I try her pot roast she was cooking... she had a $300k CD she was thinking about transferring to a FA... I was a starving young agent then and would have eaten that pot roast off the floor if it meant closing that case!!! (it was actually good, and I got half the CD money!)

I have also been introduced to Two Buck Chuck and one of the best Bordeauxs I have ever had the pleasure of tasting; both at clients houses.

So how many of you would take a drink (alchoholic) if a client offered it?

But I certainly understand where Mark is coming from. Ive been in a few houses that I didnt even want to sit down in!

150k cd is worth eating some pot roast that an old lady fondled after changing her diaper. :)

I suppose the best advice is to balance the potential commission against what the prospect is asking you to eat? Sort of like that Pet Store in Florida that gives a free Iquana reptile to whoever eats the most roaches and bugs in one sitting. If you REALLY REALLY want an Iguana bad enough....
:twitchy:
-ac

Funny story...weh I first came into the insurance business, I went on an appoitment with a senior agent. We went to see a nice Chinese family.

Before we went inside, the senior agent told me to not drink water out of a glass because the guy had Hep.

So we went in and sure enough, the man offered us water. We both said "no thank you" very quickly. The client then grabbed two water bottles, walked over and said, "look, sealed bottles, no germs" LOL

I'll never forget that as long as I live.

I've always teased my clients that I work for pie,alot of them will make sure they have some if they know I'm coming over!!
I had one favorite client that alway make me( lunch) crab cakes and the best cake this side of the mississippi.Needless to say we had QUarterly reviews. She died last year hoe I miss that meal and her bright smile as it gave her something to do !!

I think you have a great point! I've never refused a drink and always ask for bottled water or canned something, but you can politely decline and say you've been drinking water all day and are fine right now. I do agree with earner though. I had an older client who always gave me fresh preserves and other treats from her garden. Every time I was in that part of town I would stop by and see her... she's passed away since... nice lady.

Back