Workers Comp and Late Enrollment Penalty for Part D

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I should know the answer, but I decided to see what the group has to say. This person is under 65. Medicare Part A began in January 2016. I believe she was receiving Workers Comp benefits. Medicare Part B started July 1 2019. She has not enrolled in a Part D plan as of yet and I don't believe she is eligible for Low Income Subsidy. Will she likely be subject to the Part D Late Enrollment Penalty since she did not sign up for Part D when her Part A Hospital coverage started in 2016? I have not seen anywhere where Workers Comp is considered "Creditable Coverage"? Do folks stay on employer group coverage while they are receiing Workers Comp?

Workers Comp is not insurance. If she had no other plan, she did not have creditable coverage.

Workers Comp is only for things that happened as a direct result of something that happened while performing job duties.

Can someone collect Workers Comp benefits and stay on the employer health insurance coverage?

WC is not creditable drug coverage. Only covers med's related to the job related injury.

But as Dayton said, there is a reset @65. However, since she is under 65 (you didn't say how much under) she probably will have an LEP.

You can have WC and group as long as you are an active employee for payroll purposes including sick leave.

If you retire or go on Medicare you generally lose your group at that point.

WC is a long term claim and can continue past age 65

Back