Working Pharmacies During AEP for PDP's

ctg

Guru
100+ Post Club
This will be my first year working a table at a couple of stores and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Not a ton of hours required, I figure I might as well give it a try.

My main question is whether the enrollment form is filled out on site or is it better to give general info, get a SOA and try to schedule an in home appointment?

For a PDP? Do it in store if possible. Otherwise you end up driving who knows where to do an individual appointment for $28.

It would depends on how busy you are and if the carrier your sitting for restrict your ability to write the other carriers plans you represent. If they say you can't write other plans then you will need to SCOPE EM DANO!

If they do an app there, still get a scope and fill in the bottom as "walk in". If you are just doing it for PDP plans, you are going to hate life.
I would at least let them know that you offer med supps and maybe you can beat their price.

Use the PDP as a door opener to offer other products like, Alum siding, power scooters, cable & internet, Magic Jack, cellphones.........
That is what Rick does.

I suppose that's where I'd like to see it lead. Something like May I contact you after the first of the year to check how things are going? At that point, check med supps, LTC whatever...

Now while I'm at Wal-Mart or wherever, I can't really discuss anything other than the specific plan I'm there to present. Correct? As I understand it, CMS has to be notified in advance exactly what I'll be selling.

I suppose that's where I'd like to see it lead. Something like May I contact you after the first of the year to check how things are going? At that point, check med supps, LTC whatever...

Now while I'm at Wal-Mart or wherever, I can't really discuss anything other than the specific plan I'm there to present. Correct? As I understand it, CMS has to be notified in advance exactly what I'll be selling.

Here is what would make me nervous about this. You have no idea when a secret shopper is going to come along and try to pinch you for doing nothing wrong. Seems like a lot of liability for not much payoff. Some agents have done well with pharmacies, but most of that was when Part D first rolled out. Some agents still do well there, but it's the exception, not the rule.

So I should be careful who I hand out my "Registered Medicare Representative" business cards I got from Vista-print?

Seriously though, I can respond to someone asking about Med Supps with "I can only speak about this plan right now, please call me at a later time and I'd be happy to answer your questions." and give them my card?

So I should be careful who I hand out my "Registered Medicare Representative" business cards I got from Vista-print?

Seriously though, I can respond to someone asking about Med Supps with "I can only speak about this plan right now, please call me at a later time and I'd be happy to answer your questions." and give them my card?

I'd double check with a carrier, but as long as the prospect is the one driving the conversation you're golden. Someone walking into your office (which happens to be at a pharmacy here) then anything they ask about is fair game. You may have to explain that to CMS if the secret shopper says something else happened, but those were the rules as of not so long ago. Again, I'd check with a carrier to make sure.

Yes, this is the best way to proceed. As stated earlier, these pharmacy encounters are registered sales events with CMS. Some companies are registering your same event with a variety of MA companies, so that you can legally mention/sell for any of the companies you're scheduled to be there for.

It's like being at three+ sales events at once, because they're all registered sales events. In this case, you can legally bring up any of the companies that have registered that event. The down side is that if you are a NO SHOW, then you've just had three+ violations for missing registered sales events.

It is a great opportunity to expand your customer base locally and get your business card out there. It only takes a few very influential seniors to bring you a flood of referrals for having helped them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If they do an app there, still get a scope and fill in the bottom as "walk in". If you are just doing it for PDP plans, you are going to hate life.

Or you could hand them the flyer, have them call the Part D referral line and spend the next hour with the client on the phone making the sale for you. I suggest telling the senior to get their list of drugs together, call the number on the flyer and they'll take all the time necessary to go over the plans specific to "your" needs.

Not much hating life there.

Last edited:
Back