Working T65 6+ months out

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I did a postcard mailing a few months back and now realize the reason it failed is because I didn't target T65 at least 6 months out. Chazm told me he did this and he was right. Today I saw 2 ladies, 1 with a March birthday and 1 in April. They are getting bombarded already. While I was there one of them got 3 calls and the other got 2. They were phone sales and they used scare tactics to get the application. Told them they had to make a decision now to lock in the rate. I thought most companies won't accept apps until 90 days out so what do they do with them.? Also they would get the rate approved at the issue date after rate increases coming up. One off the ladies wants a Plan N. The agent told her not to buy that because of the excess charges. Really stressed how a doctor could charge an additional 15%. My Dad had a Plan C and never in 23 years until he died saw a doctor who charged him extra so to make it sound like a common occurrence is BS. Today really opened my eyes to how much someone T65 is overwhelmed by all of the calls and mail.

I did a postcard mailing a few months back and now realize the reason it failed is because I didn't target T65 at least 6 months out. Chazm told me he did this and he was right. Today I saw 2 ladies, 1 with a March birthday and 1 in April. They are getting bombarded already. While I was there one of them got 3 calls and the other got 2. They were phone sales and they used scare tactics to get the application. Told them they had to make a decision now to lock in the rate. I thought most companies won't accept apps until 90 days out so what do they do with them.? Also they would get the rate approved at the issue date after rate increases coming up. One off the ladies wants a Plan N. The agent told her not to buy that because of the excess charges. Really stressed how a doctor could charge an additional 15%. My Dad had a Plan C and never in 23 years until he died saw a doctor who charged him extra so to make it sound like a common occurrence is BS. Today really opened my eyes to how much someone T65 is overwhelmed by all of the calls and mail.

90 days out is not correct for T65 for most carriers - most are 6-mos now. I assume because of t65 competition...

The rest of what you wrote sounds like a day in the life of a 64 year old.

This is where educational-only events in the community may be helpful. Target 64-year-olds and address their concerns.

Good point about letting them know they don't have to make a decision right away. All the calls and mail they receive scares them.

I use to call 3-4 months out but even that’s too late. Six months is appropriate. I’ve been telemarketing for years. It’s gotten crazy with agents calling. My average percent that buy from me is no more than 3% and that may be too high.

Some will seem interested on the first call, then they never answer the phone again. I’ve had a few pick the phone up and immediately hang up. I had a man a couple of months ago tell me to F off and hang up.

It’s the shotgun approach pursuing this market. Sometimes it works and they buy, like they were waiting for you to call.

Last edited:
If I had time to call my T65 leads that are coming in right now I’d be calling April, May and June. I’d also be sending out July in a week but my t65 are being wasted right now.

I just signed up a t65 Jan yesterday that I saw about 3 months ago and I have a feb t65 tomorrow that I met months ago too. It’s all about keeping your pipeline full and keeping in touch with them so they don’t think you forgot about them.

There's no secret sauce to marketing the T65 market anymore. I think its a numbers game more than anything, just have to keep activity high. My mailings will get the most response from people 6 months out, but Ill have a few come in that are 1-2 months out, stragglers, waiting till the last minute to make a decision....just like me! Lol.

Write them 6 months out and take them off the market. Tell them that now they can ignore all that other crap. :yes:

Back