World’s Best (budget-friendly) Places to Retire in 2018: Costa Rica takes top spot

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Brian Anderson submitted a new article

World’s Best (budget-friendly) Places to Retire in 2018: Costa Rica takes top spot
bigstock-Costa-Rica-Political-Map-66239695.jpg

Those approaching retirement without the funds to do so comfortably stateside may be interested in InternationalLiving.com’s recently released ranking of the “World’s Best Places to Retire.” IL also offers its “5 Most Affordable Retirement Havens” and “6 Top Retirement Spots where the Climate is Great.”
Continue reading the Original Article.

Im guessing neither of you have visited Costa Rica before.

I would choose a nice area of Costa Rica over a crime-ridden area of the US. Costa Rica is a beautiful country that is mostly safe. Just like most parts of the world (including the USA) there are good parts of town and there are bad parts of town. There are more dangerous cities and there are safer cities.

I always felt safe in Costa Rica... now Jamaica is a different story (though I love Jamaica).

Now getting back on subject...

There are a ton of US retirees in Cosa Rica. Certain areas of Panama are becoming popular too.

Puerto Rico is actually a great place for US citizens to retire. You can live there as a citizen since its part of the US, you dont have to renounce your US citizenship, you dont have to pay income taxes, & the cost of living is low (not as low as Costa Rica though).

I know a few ex-pats living in the USVI and PR. They love it for the most part.

Im guessing neither of you have visited Costa Rica before.

I would choose a nice area of Costa Rica over a crime-ridden area of the US. Costa Rica is a beautiful country that is mostly safe. Just like most parts of the world (including the USA) there are good parts of town and there are bad parts of town. There are more dangerous cities and there are safer cities.

I always felt safe in Costa Rica... now Jamaica is a different story (though I love Jamaica).

Now getting back on subject...

There are a ton of US retirees in Cosa Rica. Certain areas of Panama are becoming popular too.

Puerto Rico is actually a great place for US citizens to retire. You can live there as a citizen since its part of the US, you dont have to renounce your US citizenship, you dont have to pay income taxes, & the cost of living is low (not as low as Costa Rica though).

I know a few ex-pats living in the USVI and PR. They love it for the most part.
No, I have never visited there.. Have supported missionaries that lived there, but that was several years ago and maybe things have changed for the better. My nephew has visited many times and he says as long as you stay in the tourist areas, you are OK but that it can be dangerous for an American in the back country.

I think Life Hawk was talking about the USA.. :unsure:

I spent Christmas break and New Years in a touristy beach area of Costa Rica (Tamarindo) a couple of years ago. Felt safe, climate was great but definitely some third-world aspects - terrible plumbing, lots of trash on the street, fair amount of dilapidated structures. And maybe it was because it was a tourist area and a holiday, but groceries, beverages and restaurants weren't cheap. But we did run into a few expats down there who absolutely loved it. One couple with kids under 10 just up and moved a few years ago and now operate a bar/restaurant on the beach. Livin' their dream, I suppose...

But we did run into a few expats down there who absolutely loved it. One couple with kids under 10 just up and moved a few years ago and now operate a bar/restaurant on the beach. Livin' their dream, I suppose...

I could understand retirement there. Especially if its a winter getaway for half the year.

But I wouldnt move there with kids, the education system is not the greatest.

One major downfall of living there in retirement would be if you needed serious medical procedures or long term care needs. The health system is not what it is here or in other countries.

Back