Worried about Fully Underwritten Plans

BiggitySwat

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Folks,

I have a client who I've encountered lately who wishes to have some insurance. I've already found the products, prices, etc. and everything is set to go. Here's the only thing though:

They currently have simplified issue TERM life insurance (15 year terms) that is costing them nearly $1,000.00 a month in premium. I can replace these policies with my own ULs (which is what they want instead of the term), which will ALSO save them money, but here's the thing:

The UL products I have in my arsenal are all fully medically underwritten, requiring a paramed exam/blood/lab test. I am VERY VERY worried that they will get rated hard or even declined with my ULs.

I have copies of their term policies and it was apparent that the writing agent "cleansheeted" the app and sugarcoated things. I don't like lying to my own carriers, and even if I did, the para-med for my ULs would show the issues.

The issues are that the gentleman, who is in his early sixties, has: 1) high BP (controlled with oral meds) 2) High Cholesterol (control with oral meds) and 3) Enlarged heart, treated with oral blood thinners. He has had the enlarged heart for more than 15 years, though.

So I'm thinking, even if the other agent cleansheeted the simplified issue app, how did he get approved standard issue? I thought that simplified issue products are HARDER to get approved if the client already has had long-standing medical conditions?

FYI: The ULs I'm thinking about are from IndyLife/AVIVA USA. Are they exceptionally strict with their underwriting?

Re: Worried about Fully Underwritten Plans....

Another thing - I do know from my illustrations and experience that much of the time, we can save clients money even on standard ratings if we go for a full paramed policy than simplified issue.

I would love to do more fully medically underwritten policies to save my clients some money, as every single one I've talked to so far would love to take the para-med exam if it meant substantial savings.

Here's the thing though: I am nervous about doing more paramed policies because of their potential to expose many pre-existing health issues to the insurance carrier that would have NEVER been detectable via simplified issue policies. I want to give good deals, but not if it creates a huge risk for my client to get all-out declined or heavily rated by the insurance carrier.

Your thoughts?

I don't do a lot of life insurance, but I don't think your client will have a problem getting coverage.

You should be able to get him a policy. The enlarged heart may be an issue, but hopefully not enough to keep your client from moving to a better policy. Neither hypertension nor hypercholesterolemia should keep a client from getting coverage so long as both are under control with meds.

I would call the carriers and get pre-screens. The blood thinner sounds bad.

The non-meds pull MIBs. Everything would show.

I would call the carriers and get pre-screens. The blood thinner sounds bad.

The non-meds pull MIBs. Everything would show.

That's why I'm confused as to HOW this guy got approved with OM and Foresters for simplified issue life policies (two of them) 2 years ago, when he already had the heart condition for more than a decade before that.

Yes, they check MIB, but MIB only reports information gathered from insurance companies, right? My client has lab/blood done as part of his usual checkup at his doctor's office (every 3 months), but I don't think he's had private life insurance before.

So if he's never been rated, declined, or tested by another life insurance carrier, how would the MIB be able to get his check-up info and pre-existing health information?

How about converting those term policies- with no health questions asked? I know it may be whole life but what the heck. Also, most simplified companies that I used to work for did the underwriting on the back end , when there's a claim, to save paying out money, instead of the front end, when it costs money.

How about converting those term policies- with no health questions asked? I know it may be whole life but what the heck. Also, most simplified companies that I used to work for did the underwriting on the back end , when there's a claim, to save paying out money, instead of the front end, when it costs money.

Are you saying that OM and Foresters did hardly any underwriting on this guy to get him approved, but if he had to make a claim, they'd pull up his records from years ago and try to deny his claim?

Back