Would love advise

Jenny Davis

HI, I'm new to this forum, and there's a wealth of information on this site! I am currently a P&C commercial lines agent, have been for many years for a large agency. I am thinking of going on my own selling Final Expense, medicare supplements, etc. Out of my home. I want to own my new book of business. What I want to know is, are there any P&C agents out there that made the same switch, and does anyone have any recommendations of who I should contact and why? Who would help me the most with working from home and helping me getting off to a great start?

HI, I'm new to this forum, and there's a wealth of information on this site! I am currently a P&C commercial lines agent, have been for many years for a large agency. I am thinking of going on my own selling Final Expense, medicare supplements, etc. Out of my home. I want to own my new book of business. What I want to know is, are there any P&C agents out there that made the same switch, and does anyone have any recommendations of who I should contact and why? Who would help me the most with working from home and helping me getting off to a great start?
Post this in the senior and final expense forums and you'll get a much better response.

I have not transitioned from P&C sales into life insurance SALES, but I did come from a couple of big name P&C companies and worked everywhere else in the office (admin, retention, now recruiting and marketing).

I can say that, at least where I am, it's an entirely different ballgame. When I worked P&C, it was the expectation that I should sell something to every person I talked to whether it was a better policy or not. From what I understand, there are regulations in place that make that punishable in the final expense world in ways that it's not in the P&C world. So, I'd liken it to moving from NYC to a small or slow town; it just has a different pace. The sales presentations are a lot longer. We deal with 50+, so there's a lot of explaining new technology and dismantling things that they've been told by previous agents that were only partially true. My advice would be not to bring your P&C experiences with you; leave them with whatever company you're walking away from. I haven't managed to overcome my P&C burnout, so as of right now, I want to sell absolutely nothing to anybody. But if I changed my mind on that, I feel like it would be a pretty easy transition.

In P&C, I didn't have a script. It was face-to-face. A lot of it felt manipulative. It was really pushy. Everything I've experienced @ my IMO has been opposite. So, start with a clean slate, find the IMO that offers the most training and support or, if you go the independent route, spend a LOT of time researching your carriers. Hope this helps!

I can say that, at least where I am, it's an entirely different ballgame.

There, you said a mouthful that sums it all up nicely.

For the most part people are forced to buy P&C products, and after being forced to, tend to keep buying them when they have the option not to.

Life insurance is sold, NOT bought. Very little requires a person to carry life insurance or to carry adequate amounts.

Back