Would You Sign An Agent of Record Release Letter?

About 15 years ago, I wrote a disability income policy, life policy and a major medical insurance policy for a gentleman that was referred to me.

We enjoyed good rapport until he moved out of town, about 60 miles away from my office. He met another agent and asked the other agent to service his life insurance needs and take over servicing the life policy I'd written.

A few days ago, I received a message from an insurance agent's secretary who said that she was calling to obtain from me, a release letter so that her boss could become agent of record for my client's and his wife's individual medical insurance plan.

I'm flip-flopping between two schools of thought, here. My first inclination is to say "I did the work on this, I earned my pay. If you want to become his agent, write another app yourself." The other side of me says "It's my client's policy; he can have whoever he wants as his agent."

What is your experience with this kind of situation? How would you handle this?

Thanks, in advance.

Robert

oh hell no......I had that happen once with UC....he had to cxl and sign back up in 6mo's....this was a 3 year old client I saved from mega and united benefits that talked him into app's that I had to kill in underwriting that was trying to replace the UC I wrote......but I do work the agent of record and have gotten a few because of agent relations.....

60 miles in California is spitting distance in other places. I wouldn't bother responding to a "secretary"'s inquiry.

Distance has nothing to do with it.

I have an account in Columbus, Ga. and I'm in Atlanta, and I service the H*LL out of them. That's why they've been with me for 3 yrs.

Don't do it.

Reconnect with the client and see how you can continue to service him.

Sign it, move on, you have bigger fish to fry! A good client wouldn't want a release. Clearly the client wants to work with somebody else. How good do you think the relationship will be after you refuse the release. Not worth it, MOVE ON!

Depends on the money involved amongst other issues. If it's a few bucks... let it go. if it's $40-50 or more/mo... keep it. Of course it depends on the company you're talking about. Some companies won't let anyone other than the AOR work on their policies... some will. That and how much work you've done for said client. If it was an easy sale, no maintenance, etc... let it go. If I've done a ton of work to get it and serviced it some I'd probably keep it.

I have clients 400+ miles away that I take care of very well.

I have never had to give a letter of release.

I have had a couple of clients fire me and switch to another broker. This is one of the main reason I quit selling small groups in other states.

Back