Writing Good Advertising Copy

I'm just curious to know what you do when your writing advertising copy for a advert in the local paper or newsletter.

Do you use any specific words or phrases? Any strategy? Do you try to market it to a specific crowd or age group? Or just keep it general.

Inquiring minds wanna know.

I'm just curious to know what you do when your writing advertising copy for a advert in the local paper or newsletter.

Do you use any specific words or phrases? Any strategy? Do you try to market it to a specific crowd or age group? Or just keep it general.

"Advert"...are you British?

The first questions you have to answer before even considering writing the copy are, "What is the purpose of the ad and what do I want to accomplish."

The first questions you have to answer before even considering writing the copy are, "What is the purpose of the ad and what do I want to accomplish."

I am surrounded by 55+ communities. I am hoping to write a general ad that I can place in various newsletters produced by those communities.

It would serve as an introduction to me and what I hope to concentration. Which would be FE, LTC and medicare. I will write Critical Illness if it falls into my lap.

Take a copywriting course, particuarly one that specializies in direct reponse sales letters.

This guy is a professional copywriter (not the cheapest) but he also has a ton of free "how to" stuff.

link to his site is: blydotcom (I don't have enough points to post a url)

FYI I don't get a commission on this. He doesn't know I'm referring.

I am surrounded by 55+ communities. I am hoping to write a general ad that I can place in various newsletters produced by those communities.

It would serve as an introduction to me and what I hope to concentration. Which would be FE, LTC and medicare. I will write Critical Illness if it falls into my lap.
That is a very general statement of purpose. What do you hope to accomplish? Keep your name before the public, direct response, etc.?

This idea may be helpful: Remember that your advertisement is not really trying to sell insurance... it's trying to sell the idea that TALKING TO YOU is a worthwhile investment of time. With that it mind, advertising to the 55+ audience can talk about the uncertainty that lies just ahead...preparing for retirement, changes within the family, etc. You have valuable answers worth checking out--whether or not you do business with them. (It's a tactic within the overall idea of earning Trusted Advisor status, as an avenue to selling.)

Go to your library. That is a big building with real books, magazines and newspapers. There are still a few around.

Look through periodicals (especially local newspapers) that have classified and tombstone ads. If you find one that fits your model, check to see if the ad is repeated or just one time.

A repeat ad is probably a winner. Few people pay for repeat submissions unless it is working.

Ask for a sample newsletter from these communities. Look for ads that appeal. If you are considering running ads in these same newsletters you will need different images and verbiage that is more appealing than your competitors.

You can also do online searches for ads targeting 55+ although that can be a bit more challenging.

If you are not a member of AARP, join. Look at the online and print ads.

Back