Writing High Brush In CA

What carriers do you use for writing properties with heightened brush exposures in California? I know there's the FAIR Plan and Lloyds/non-admitted for brush, but is there anyone else who's writing in brush areas with comprehensive coverage at a competitive price?

Define 'heightened brush exposure'. Brush is one thing but then you need to worry about the protection class and the fireline rating.

For brush, I just tell the client to fix it. Fireline is a bigger problem, since the client can't fix it except by moving (usually).

dan

how close is the brush?
Around 500'. Think outlying homes in neighborhoods that back up to a hillside. I believe LA County requires about 200' in brush zones, but what about the rest? Is there anyone that will accept risk under 1,000' feet?

Define 'heightened brush exposure'. Brush is one thing but then you need to worry about the protection class and the fireline rating.

For brush, I just tell the client to fix it. Fireline is a bigger problem, since the client can't fix it except by moving (usually).

dan
Fix it? As in create a 1,000'+ boarder around their home?

I would love to know who writes the outlying homes in neighborhoods that butt up against undeveloped areas where brush grows.

I'm not a P&C guy, Jimmi, but it's simple to find the answer to your question. Go knock on the door of the house that fits this example--

I would love to know who writes the outlying homes in neighborhoods that butt up against undeveloped areas where brush grows.

--and ask the homeowner who their coverage is written with.

If you have 500' brush clearance, you probably don't really have a brush problem. If you have a hillside with brush, you have a fireline problem, which is brush related, as well as slope and access. You can read more about it at:
- FireLine - pinpoint potential hazards from wildfire

Basically, you need to ask about writing homes in a SHIA area (special hazard interface area). I tend to shy away from these so I can't really answer your question (except to say FAIR plan). I know there are carriers that write this though.

Dan

My first choice is Travelers because they will go: eligible, eligible 1, eligible 2, eligible 3, ineligible as the "brush" risk gets closer. Most other carriers won't even do eligible 1.

Fidelity will go to 500 or 750 feet I think.

First American is decent as well but they require a tile roof, enclosed eaves and double pane windows. They handle the distance on a case by case basis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As an independent I hate to say it but Farmers is pretty good at these, most that I run into have Farmers

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts guys!

@Hefe - Funny you mention those carriers... I write with all of those directly and have problems with brush quite often.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

@Hefe - Funny you mention those carriers... I write with all of those directly and have problems with brush quite often.

What part of CA are you in? I wouldn't think they would have different brush requirements for different areas. Are they just declining to write in brush areas altogether?

Back