WSJ article about NYL "simplified" LTC product

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Link below to Leslie Scism's Aug. 29 Wall Street Journal article about New York Life pitching a new "simplified" LTC product to middle market...
Couple of excerpts:

New York Life Insurance Co. is trying to find a new way to sell a product that some middle-class customers don’t want to buy anymore.
The company said it recently started offering a simplified version of long-term care insurance that makes the coverage easier to understand and more predictable in cost...
The new offering from New York Life is one of very few long-term-care policy introductions of the past five years, according to insurance-industry organizations, consultants and academics. It is designed to appeal to middle-class consumers. The longtime seller of such coverage will continue offering its existing stand-alone product...
The new policies from New York Life will generally cost at least $100 to $150 a month per person, depending on age and designated benefit level. As much as $500,000 in future payouts for a couple is available. The cost will generally be in the midrange of top-selling products, according to industry figures.
The insurer is scrapping use of “elimination periods,” which are typically 90-day waiting periods before the policies pay out. Instead, it is using a one-time deductible. A deductible is a specified amount of money that a policyholder is responsible for paying.
The “elimination period” concept can be off-putting to consumers because the amount they would need to pay isn’t known when they are purchasing a policy.

New York Life Tests New Pitch for an Unpopular Insurance Policy

Selling against will be easy - not that I ever find myself up against NYL. It has an increasing deductible - the deductible is 3, 6, 9 or 12 X the maximum monthly benefit, not a fixed number. And, if you have inflation protection, that applies. So, if I buy a $6,000 monthly benefit at age 60, with 3% compound inflation, and a "6X" deductible, my deductible is $36,0000. But at age 84, my daily benefit would be $12,000, and deductible would be $72,000. What if you're only getting 2-3 hours/day of home care?? It's going to take a LONG time to satisfy that deductible.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-4_7-34-45.png
    upload_2018-10-4_7-34-45.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 3
Back