WSJ: Why It's So Hard to Fill Sales Jobs

Nice complement to us, but my generation being afraid of risk, hard work, and competition... thats what happens when the schools stop teaching that capitalism is a good thing.

You are all wrong. They don't like sales because they heard that you don't get a trophy just for participating!

Best quote in the article:

As companies become savvier about the products they buy, wheeler-dealers are out, and problem-solvers are in.

You will be remembered by the problems you create or the problems you solve. The person who can identify the problem, communicate it clearly so that the prospective client understands and agrees it is a problem, AND most importantly, present a solution for the problem which the prospective client agrees is the most efficient way to solve the problem is who gets the business and referrals.

People don't want to get into sales because it's hard?? Whut, whut??;)

I'll be looking for the next hard hitting journalism by Lauren Weber, "Water is Wet!".:laugh:

Today's generation is brainwashed that the best jobs are in STEM - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Sales doesn't really translate into all that stuff.

Schools teach that you need to be smart and earn A's to get a great job to work for someone else.

Those who do try sales with the above mindset, will blame the company and believe that there are much easier ways to make a living. Add in the cut-throat environment of most organizations... just add insult to the mental self-inflicted injury too.

I've got one graduating in May, so I am around "this generation" a lot.

What I see and hear is that they want to find their passion.

No clue. What the heck is a passion? They need to get a job and make some money.

I've got one graduating in May, so I am around "this generation" a lot.

What I see and hear is that they want to find their passion.

No clue. What the heck is a passion? They need to get a job and make some money.

This. I am a part of that generation. When I started doing insurance I had many people ask me "is that your passion? " I would always say "no of course not."

Passions are things like art, sports, fashion, writing, etc. To be successful in thise things takes a lot of hard work that no one is passionate about. Michael Jordan talked about how no one is there to see you practice your butt off.

Woody Allen said 80% of life is just showing up. He said this to all those people who were "passionate" about screen plays but never did the tedious, hard work to actually write a screen play. Basically, when it's all said and done usually more is said than done.

This. I am a part of that generation. When I started doing insurance I had many people ask me "is that your passion? " I would always say "no of course not."

Passions are things like art, sports, fashion, writing, etc. To be successful in thise things takes a lot of hard work that no one is passionate about. Michael Jordan talked about how no one is there to see you practice your butt off.

Woody Allen said 80% of life is just showing up. He said this to all those people who were "passionate" about screen plays but never did the tedious, hard work to actually write a screen play. Basically, when it's all said and done usually more is said than done.

Making a career out of something that you are "passionate" about is a bad idea.

By the time you are done practicing your but off at it, to the point that you are good enough to actually make any money doing it, you will be sick of it to the point, that it wont be your passion anymore. Why ruin a good thing, that can be used as an escape from everyday stress?

Back