Yellow Page Ads - Worth it or not...

djs

Super Moderator
I had the Verizon Yellow Page ad person come by my office yesterday. While she was a bit to pushy for my liking, it did get me to wondering if anyone has success with Yellow Page ads. I told her upfront that I was a big yellow page skeptic, I haven't looked in 'the book' for years. I look up everything on line now.

Of course, being in the book supposedly gets you better placement in the 'online' version of the yellow pages as well. I couldn't get a real clear answer on how this part worked.

Based on the numbers she presented to me, I would get 34 leads a month (not guaranteed) by having a display ad. This would make my cost about $11.75 each, which just seemed way, way, way to high. Now, she did have the statistic that for every dollar spent, for insurance agents, they earn $20. I did point out to her that this was based on total premium, not commission dollars, which on auto, meant that using her numbers, the stars had to line up to pay for the ad. Also, I would have a year commitment.... ouch!

So my question is simple.... Who has a yellow page ad, and has it worked for you? Will you renew it?

Dan

I had the Verizon Yellow Page ad person come by my office yesterday. While she was a bit to pushy for my liking, it did get me to wondering if anyone has success with Yellow Page ads. I told her upfront that I was a big yellow page skeptic, I haven't looked in 'the book' for years. I look up everything on line now.

Of course, being in the book supposedly gets you better placement in the 'online' version of the yellow pages as well. I couldn't get a real clear answer on how this part worked.

Based on the numbers she presented to me, I would get 34 leads a month (not guaranteed) by having a display ad. This would make my cost about $11.75 each, which just seemed way, way, way to high. Now, she did have the statistic that for every dollar spent, for insurance agents, they earn $20. I did point out to her that this was based on total premium, not commission dollars, which on auto, meant that using her numbers, the stars had to line up to pay for the ad. Also, I would have a year commitment.... ouch!

So my question is simple.... Who has a yellow page ad, and has it worked for you? Will you renew it?

Dan

depends on what you sell and where it is listed.....I have this listed under health plans....not insururance and it coast me $55 a month and have written enough biz of of it to pay for 3 years with out another call...also....I tried to get as close as I can to the top of the list by using broker and have found I am always the first secnd or thrird when called and when I ask if the other guys answerd the phone before they called and 9 out of 10....no.....just placed a yellow page client yesterday and now wants me to mail her cards for people she thinks I need to talk to....

ad.jpg

Last edited:
depends on what you sell and where it is listed.....I have this listed under health plans....not insururance and it coast me $55 a month and have written enough biz of of it to pay for 3 years with out another call...also....I tried to get as close as I can to the top of the list by using broker and have found I am always the first secnd or thrird when called and when I ask if the other guys answerd the phone before they called and 9 out of 10....no.....just placed a yellow page client yesterday and now wants me to mail her cards for people she thinks I need to talk to....

ad.jpg

Now I could probably handle the $55 a month. The price given to me was 10 times that. Bigger ad, and I have the privilege of being in the area with the largest circulation in the US for a regional phonebook (not sure I believed this, but it is large). My sales lady was pretty adament that these smaller ads will get lost in the book. I actually agreed with her, based on the pages that currently exist.

I like your ad though, and may consider cloning it for some advertising... It addresses 2 big concerns, you use 'top-rated' companies, and have multiple carriers. You'll do the shopping for me :)

Dan

what section does she want to put your add in and what are you selling....

In the brokers section, selling auto insurance. Actually, she wanted me to go with life insurance, but I can't see that working out very well.

Experiences vary. I only have two agents friends who put small ads in the Yellow Pages in MD. Both have yet to receive a single call after a year.

I'm sure at all $55 a month it's probaby worth it. But I'm still not gonna place one.

what do you sell.....life....health ....auto......

In the brokers section, selling auto insurance. Actually, she wanted me to go with life insurance, but I can't see that working out very well.

but did they list in the health insurance/plan section.....I would not put this in the insurance section....would get lost....but have found when people need health insurance that is the first place they look.....

Experiences vary. I only have two agents friends who put small ads in the Yellow Pages in MD. Both have yet to receive a single call after a year.

I'm sure at all $55 a month it's probaby worth it. But I'm still not gonna place one.

Last edited:
Yellow Pages

Back in time when I thought that every dollar you spend on advertising you got back tenfold.......

.......Or was that just my manager telling me that?

I bought a yellow page ad for over $2000, it got me nothing at all other then calls for P & C, even then that was about 3 calls.

Fastest waste of money ever for me, a close 2nd to internet leads.

I've found that there are better ways to spend your money on.

Try to be lean and mean with every dollar you spend on marketing and advertising, you can spend thousands of dollars in this business and get nothing at all back.

Our ad comes out in late June. I'll let you know how it goes. But I'm not optimistic. My past experiences with yellow page ads have not been good. But the partners wanted to do it so we are.

Back