Yet Another Request for Help from a Newbie

Jonase

Expert
Hi all, I've spent a lot of time searching the forum and absorbing as much as possible. The take away - I need to start a new thread because I'm still confused and things change quickly in this business for so many post from years ago.

I need help - here's why: I came to insurance about a month ago somewhat unexpectedly and reluctantly. A long time ago I got a 215 license to boost my prospects in a failing economy and only recently took a job for a company as a manger that quickly folded and turned into a gruesome beast that wanted to sell senior products - FE and Med sups mainly. I had the license and few other prospects so I agreed to stay on. Big mistake. Oh yes they conned me into letting them use my license. Thankfully I did my research.

Long story short, I am essentially a fully prepared agent without a clear idea what to do next.
I have multiple state licenses.

I'm certified in medicare, individual health and the marketplace.

I have appointments with quite a few medicare and health carriers including UHC, Mutual of omaha, aetna, Golden rule to name a few.

i have many FE appointments all with above street level contracts (115 -120%)

I am working through Berwick for medicare - they are nice but that is as much as i know.

I have a few FE appointments with PIP - nice also but don't know much more.

The rest of my FE appointments are totally independant because the people I worked for almost had me roped into One Life but I managed to get out of that after reading posts here.

So, I have my rate books, underwriting guides, enrollment kits, a website, a softphone, a CRM lined up etc etc

What i don't have is:
1) a firm grasp of what angle I should pursue. Should I focus on one type of product and completely ignore the rest - say just do FE? Or should I do one primarily and cross sell and get referrals for the others.

2) A marketing plan. The rat bastards i worked for had massive databases for the senior market and used Philippine call centers to cold call the database. We sold from that but I don't know what the cost was and i wouldn't know how to set it up even if I had a database big enough. That was purely phone closes by the way.

I do know this much - I need a steady stream of leads/ prospects. I tested some internet leads out of ignorance. Not favoring that plan at all. I really can't afford to be testing lead companies to find out what works. I am however, ready to put referral systems into action and do what it take s to market myself and create my own leads but that takes time and i need to start with something that gets that ball rolling....

Here is what I'm leaning toward - market medicare and cross sell FE with a little individual health hustle during open enrollment. Medicare leads seem to be a lot cheaper than FE and I can see a lot more avenues for prospecting and creating my own leads through medicare marketing. Plus medicare companies will provide marketing materials - brochures, banners etc.

My attitude is one of paying it forward and asking how can I help. I apply that in my personal and business life and i believe it is particularly important when selling (educating others about?) insurance. Which is why I believe in the value of a mentor. Unfortunately I know but one person in the business and he is obsessive compulsive and only does big WL and UL life contracts i believe. I'm not ready for that.

If someone in Florida that is successful and willing to help me out - I'm about as good a learner as you'll find.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice! ;)

If I were you I would find a local agency that can give you hands on training on a daily basis. Your best bet is an office you can go to daily! Get really good at 1 thing. FE, or Health? Pick one and learn it!

Then go independent... That is how I did it. I ate the points for my first few years selling Mortgage Protection life insurance but it made it easier for me to make the move to sell FE.

If I were you I would find a local agency that can give you hands on training on a daily basis. Your best bet is an office you can go to daily! Get really good at 1 thing. FE, or Health? Pick one and learn it!

Then go independent... That is how I did it. I ate the points for my first few years selling Mortgage Protection life insurance but it made it easier for me to make the move to sell FE.

I'm starting to get that it's best to specialize at least in the near term. I know Fe the best as that's what I've sold. As for an agency, I've had pretty bad luck so far. Are there local agencies that do FE? I mean I'm sure there are some but are they common enough that i'd find one near me? It seems like this is independent agent territory...

This isn't a helpful post, but I'm curious. How the hell did you go through all of this in just one month?!

I am crazy good at paperwork... ;) Actually that was a bit misleading. Some of the appointments were started two months ago while i was working for a shady company that decided to get into FE and i already had my license from years before.

Job 1.. pick one market (product) and run with it.. If you try to be all things to all people in the beginning, it will more than likely overwhelm you and you will flunk out. Once you have narrowed down what you want to sell, then people on the forum that specialize in that market can help you.

I'm in south Florida. Choosing the direction to take is problem number one. I have three tools in the toolbox and I lean toward Final Expense because I know it better than the others, it is simple to understand and good commissions. BUT, I live is south florida and i can't travel all over the state for face to face. So, I can either make telesales work or I can do medicare. I've read hundreds of posts on FE and just starting on medicare. So far what I've learned is the ideal medicare guy in my area passed away. sigh.

Back