Young Agent Need Help with Prospecting

You are 20 so you must belong to a large group of friends on social media. Go sell convertible term insurance to all your friends on face book who have children. SOme will say yes, most will say not now, some will say F you. The ones that become your client, look at their friends list. If you see a picture of child in their facebook profile, they are a good prospect. Ask for an introduction, get some information about them and call them. If you do this consistently, once in a while, you will get larger cases. And the ones that say F you now, if you do this job consistently, in 5 years some of them will become your client. In about 10 years, one of your friends on facebook today won't be around. I don't know which one, but it is part of this career. Also many college kids have their parents co-sign student loans and the parents are on the hook if the child dies. So all your highschool class graduation list is a great prospecting list. You will go in the door to sell a 10 a month term policy on a college bound student and in most cases, the parents will also ask life insurance for themselves. Bingo.

I am a 20 year old Life and health agent in CA. I had recently switched to an internship contract to finish my college education without the pressure of hitting numbers. As a young agent, what I find the most difficult with the industry is finding clients. Being 20, the people I know are all around my age and just getting by so I feel like I don't really have a natural market to break into. The only advice I receive from my sales manager is "Go out and meet new people. At least 2 a day." and although that probably works, i feel it is very vague.

I figured that a lot of people coming into this industry don't start as fresh in the work force and have tons of people they can talk to such as past coworkers. Although I have considered purchasing leads (my company does not offer them), I haven't found a good website to find them. I have even considered taking a part time job just to meet people and build relationships with coworkers and clients.

So my questions are as follows:

If you guys were to recommend cold leads, which website is the most reliable?

What part time jobs are available where I can meet prospective clients and build relationships with them?

What is the best way to find prospects with a very limited natural market?

Thanks!

Here's a big selling point for people our age (I'm 22): buy life insurance while you're young, lock in the preferred rates, and convert to a permanent policy when you're older & making more money. It's the cost of a pizza a month. But like you mentioned, it's hard to get young people (who think they're invincible) to think about what will happen financially when they die.

A huge way of getting out in front of people is getting involved in the community. For example: I'm a member of the Masonic Lodge, Shriners, Young Professionals Association, and volunteer fire dept. Not only do you meet a lot of people, it develops you as a person. There's dues involved, but it pays off in the long run.

Dude I sold a 19yo waitress today and have a be back for her dad this week. Young uns will buy...just gotta know what button to push.

I am not going to disagree some do buy. I sell to the young on a regular basis. I would not want that to be my niche though. A combination of the invincible mindset, lack of money, and low premium would keep me from making that a focus.

Here's the ONLY part-time job you need right now:
- No hourly wage or salary of any kind.
- No employee benefits.
- No office.
- No tools other than what you provide for yourself.
- Spend up to 4 hours per day (remember, this is PART-TIME, right?) either calling people or door-knocking to introduce yourself. You can stop after you've set three appointments for sometime in the next 2 weeks.
- Do this every day Monday - Friday.

You should study the Edward Jones model of prospecting. They are given a geographical area around the office location they plan to have. They knock on doors to introduce themselves.

Their goal: Collect 25 names, addresses, and phone numbers EVERY DAY of people who will allow them to follow up with them in the future.

That's 25 per day, 125 per week, 500 per month.

That's a lot of work.

All YOU have to do is talk to people about what you do and SET 2-3 APPOINTMENTS PER DAY for sometime in the near future. Sounds a lot easier than getting 25 people to give you permission to follow up again.

----------

If you'd rather cold-call by phone, here's a decent source of lists for $50/month:

ListShack.com | Unlimited Sales Leads
Awesome advice as usual DHK,

hope you don't mind but I copied this for my assistance. I am having a lot of trouble getting her on track so I hope she will try out your method.

Focus on one quote generating event a week, one networking event a week, and one long term revenue generating event a week. Ever since I started I have had a goal of finding 15 new households a week. That ends up being at lest 30 a week.

Back