Your Favorite 2018 Obamacare Stories

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Share your favorite story from 2018 OEP. Here's my few off top of my head:

1. "Bill, I took your advice and quit my job in September. No use in working to make money that will be clawed back if I go over 400% FPL". (we control peoples lives)

2. I am personally responsible for keeping 3 marriages from occurring. Singles rates and APTC, vs. getting married and losing all APTC.

3. Renewed a policy while my client was waiting for heart surgery in the ICU. Then sold boyfriend a policy in the hospital bathroom as the nurses entered the room.

4. One client decided to take on $200/yr of more business income to avoid medicaid, and keep her $4/mo - 94% CSR plan, which would go down by 65 cents in 2018. Her gripe? "The gov't gets you both ways don't they? Gonna make me pay more taxes on the income, and have less premium tax deduction". Some are so ungrateful.

5. "That's right sir, your price will either be $118/mo or $1814/mo ($1416/yr vs $21,768/yr), but you won't know what you will really be paying for another year and a half when you file your taxes". Sign here.

1. "My husband died this year."

"I am very sorry for your loss. What do you think your household income will be in 2018?"

"Well, I am planning on living on the insurance money which is in the bank in cash and my social security for the next 5-7 years, our house and cars are paid for (will get her to Medicare + some). The social security is about $24,000 a year. "

"Your premium will be $0 a month with a $175 deductible and $1600 max out of pocket. "

"Even though I have $400,000 in the bank and $2,500,000 in retirement accounts? That doesn't seem right"

"If you don't want to apply for the subsidy, it is about $1,500 a month for the same plan, with a $2500 $2,500 and a $6000 MOOP"

"I will take the free plan".

"My employer offers insurance but they wanted to charge $1000 a month for my wife (48) and kids (22,19) to be added. I make about $60,000 a year, my wife is taking care of her dying mother, we just can't afford that with helping pay for college too."

"How much does it cost for just you? "

"$100 a month."

"Unfortunately, your family isn't subsidy eligible. It will be $1200 a month for the three of them on the exchange."

"You mean I have to pay 20% of my income for insurance no matter what? "

"Sorry sir. Maybe your kids' colleges offer plans?"

"*&#^$()@*#&$^ Obamacare!!"

Ed - "Your premium for yourself, your wife, and your two children will be $47 for the Silver-tier plan. The subsidy substantially reduces the premium and cost-sharing substantially lowers your deductible, copays, and maximum out-of-pocket expenses."

Customer - "No thanks. I can do better than that."
I was able to secure the Care Source for $46 per month, thanks for the lead Chumps...

I'm getting divorced and will 1099 my wife so that only one of us will have to pay. We have 2 houses paid for so I'll just say I live in the other one out in the country. If anyone says anything, I'll just say that my ex is now my GF & I'm reliving my college days.

Client: "You need to come see our new house! Just got in and its on the lake and it was a foreclosure, so we only paid $1.2 million. Oh, our income? We got it down to $15K."

ME: "Great! Here's your free plan, with a $0 deductible and $800 OOP."

Or my favorite, which is being repeated over and over:
Client: "What do you mean the premium went down? And the deductible went down? How does THAT happen?"

Me: "When the President pulled the CSR funding in late October, it caused rates to go up 25%, which also increased the subsidy. So gold plans cost less than silver plans and subsides skyrocketed"

Client: "The President made the rates go UP? Oh well. Its good for me!"

"I have coverage through my job, but it's really expensive, so I was hoping you have something better for less"

"Well, what plan do you currently have, and how much are you paying?"

"I have a PPO platinum family plan and it costs $100/week. Isn't that outrageous!?"

"Ma'am, that plan is almost $3,000/month. If you're only paying $100/week, your company is covering the bulk of your cost. There's not a single family plan on the market for under a grand per month, and I can't even get you a PPO as an individual."

"Well what good is that?! I though insurance was supposed to be affordable!"

Her and her husband both have 6 figure jobs...

Plenty of younger clients, but...yesterday young man making $140,000/year called to renew his no tax credit CAT plan. Works in medical device industry, knows the pay of carrier CEO, complained about the income earnings in the medical industry (no sense of irony?). Toddler style rage fit over premium going from essentially $200 to $400 per month. "That's not affordable!". After the initial shock, bargaining. "What are my options?" Reviewed STM, Christian sharing plans, penalty. Also HSA, "I can do better than that by investing in real estate--I am shopping around". OK. Is on 1099, no workers comp.
Just took a call from a referral. "I need help choosing a plan". Me, I can help by enrolling you in the plan after you decide, that's how I get paid. "After hesitating, --but I have done all the work until now--I will call you later, I am at a client's house". Medical industry, probably. I have enrolled last year's clients from carriers that are paying $0 this year. Not many, under 10, lucky I am not too close to the metro area with Cigna. From them, referrals, future, life insurance, etc. I am getting referrals from someone who wanted me as an agent but just needed to apply for a tax penalty waiver form. She remembered me from last year, sent 2 clients this year. My point is, I help people without pay regularly and go the extra mile, but I have my limits.

Last edited:
Friend from Canada got 94% CSR, $50 monthly premium, low copays & $1850 deductible. Has pre-ex, needs expensive care. Complained about US system. I asked her why she lives here. Answer - quality of life and lower taxes! Oh the irony. She asked if there was a better plan than 94% CSR. She wants a $0 deductible, and is willing to pay more premium for it. I asked "How much more premium?" She said, "$150 a month." I said, "Why don't you put $150 a month in the bank, because it's $1800 a year, and it will pay your deductible." She thought that was an okay idea, but felt that it would be better if the insurance company or the government paid the deductible. ARGH.

Back