Your Favorite Term Life Carriers, and Why?

Not a dig at you personally....but if you work for Primerica, you don't have a choice in what you offer the clients. Since you only have term, its hard to do whats in their "best interest" all the time.
Of course you can educate them on "life insurance" and if a skilled sales person, convince them why BTID is the only way to go.

IMO, based on what I've seen... most don't invest the difference. They spend it. If they actually invested it, they might do ok.

Fwiw, I have no problem with Primerica doing business the way they do. Its their business. Me personally, I'm going to actually offer all the options to my client, and figure out whats actually IN THEIR BEST INTEREST, not mine. I sell plenty of term, more perm.

I get what you're saying and I'm not knocking your products either, everyone has their preference. I've just seen a lot of agents/companies (not saying you) push the more expensive UL or whole life policies, (God forbid a VGLI, don't even get me started on those, lol) because they either want the higher commission, or that's what they've been taught/pushed to sell and don't even offer Term, until we approach the client and show them how much coverage they could be getting and how much they would be saving. And I've had this happen; when they go to cancel and explain to their agent why they're canceling, the agent says, well we can get you a Term policy if that's what you want. And the customer is pissed because they were never presented with the option of Term Insurance because for whatever reason the agent thought that's what was best for their client and didn't present them with all the options. That has been my experience. If the customer already has a Term policy, and after reviewing their policy with them line by line. If we see they have a good policy; properly protected and have a good premium, we congratulate them and tell them; hey you're good.

In our presentations, we fully explain Cash Value type products vs Term and always talk about the investment aspect, and paying off their debt faster. Depending on their age; how to budget, invest properly so that by retirement they'll have no debt and enough money in a retirement account to be self-insured. If they're a little bit older and in a lot of debt, that's a different conversation, of course they will need insurance into and beyond retirement.

For example, this is what I've seen and it doesn't make sense to me. Having someone paying upwards of $200 per month for one family member for a cash value policy earning 3% or less, with no cash value build up in the first 1-5 years, depending on the company, and a death benefit of $150,000. Especially when the beneficiary can't keep both, the death benefit and cash value when the policyholder dies. Yes, they can get a loan on the cash value and "borrow" their own money but have to pay it back at a much higher interest rate than they were originally earning. To me it makes more sense to get the entire family covered, mom, dad and kids with a Term policy (depending on their age and health) for less than $150 per month for 10 times their yearly income, which is what every insured should have, to have their families properly protected. Then invest the difference of what they were already paying, as well as taking the cash value from the old policy, and putting it into an investment product. We can start the investment process right then and there for as little as $25 per month. Of course, we would advise it would be in their best interest to put in more per month, but whatever they feel comfortable with.
But if they are already used to paying $200 per month, they are more likely to continue spending that amount, or close to that amount, if they know that not only do they have more insurance coverage for less, but they're also going to be earning more interest on their money, and their beneficiary can keep both if they die before retirement. If saving for retirement was the goal when buying the Cash Value policy, its still going to be their goal at the time they switch. I've found they have no problem making that change if it makes sense to them. If they don't see the value in what we have to offer (not everybody does) and they feel a Whole Life policy or UL is the right vehicle for them, then we don't push the issue. No hard feeling, they either keep what they have or when we end the appointment we can refer them to one of the companies we partner with that offers what they are looking for. But because we do partner with various other companies we can offer them so much more than just affordable life insurance, we're able to help them in other capacities; not going to go into all of the details here, because I'm not trying to advertise. But I've worked for a few other companies and this hands down is the one for me. Not saying yours is wrong and mine is right; this just makes sense to me that's all, as I'm sure yours makes sense to you. I love this company, we're a family, this is where I feel at home.

Hey, I've enjoyed our discussion. I love hearing other peoples point of view. I wish you all the best.

IMO, based on what I've seen... most don't invest the difference. They spend it. If they actually invested it, they might do ok.

That's the problem I do not see addressed when I see the comment of buy term, invest the difference.

There seems to be an assumption that the purchasers are going to be completely rational and disciplined people with lots of discretionary income.

Math calculations is not the same as human behavior.

Plus, comparing a safe asset (fixed life insurance) to an equity investment (mutual funds) is not a proper comparison to make.

Math calculations is not the same as human behavior.

Plus, comparing a safe asset (fixed life insurance) to an equity investment (mutual funds) is not a proper comparison to make.
True, WL par or non par, CV and credited dividend accumulation will never be less tomorrow than it was today. It is true that if you actually invest the difference in BTID, you might have more over a period of time. But what if you need your money on the day after black Monday and your fund has lost 25% of its value? You may not have time to wait for it to recover. Only WL insurance will provide a certain amount at a certain time.

I just had a Primerica agent ask me how many times I have to meet with someone to sell term. WTH? I just mail a quote to my P&C customers, they take it or they don't. Most of my term is under $15 a month, how can you afford to go to someones house several times for a $15 policy. You can't so Primerica must be way high. Does anyone know how high they really are?

That's unique on the premium amounts...I believe that the average term sale is somewhere around 800/yr.

But to your point, that's not worth multiple f2f meetings either....

That's unique on the premium amounts...I believe that the average term sale is somewhere around 800/yr.

But to your point, that's not worth multiple f2f meetings either....

The example I provided was based on a real experience with a client.

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ray View Post
So why not sell much less expensive life insurance and educate your clients the same way? Maybe they could retire earlier.....

Mari: "That is exactly what we do. Offer the least expensive "Term" and teach them to invest the rest."

For the record, your clients would learn more on Google than any education you can provide. You've been brainwashed (not so) well.

You specifically said that you offer the least expensive term...I quoted it on the previous page.

I apologize you're right I did say that on another thread and did word that wrong. No, we are not the "cheapest" but we are competitive. And no I do not lie to my clients, there's no need.

My goodness, I did not come on here to get attacked, or to go into a long drawn out debate over who's coverage or company is better than who's. I was answering a question and stated MY opinion, about my company and products, just like everyone else. I thought this was a place to share ideas and help each other not go on the attack as soon as you disagree with someone if they misspeak. Happens to everyone, we are human and make mistakes. This obviously is not the forum me.

Back