Your Favourite Buzz Words, Phrases?

joe90

Expert
uk
Everyone has buzz words, they like to use when presenting.

Some people like "amazing" ;). Some like "superb" :yes:. Some like fantastic. :twitchy:

Im a bit more subtle. I like to phrase using words like "actually", and "indeed". These are essentially words that arent opinions, but factual. They are redundant intensifiers technically. But I really like them.

What are your favourite words and phrases to throw into a presentation.

And given Im trying to keep it factual, does anyone have any great phrases or words that act in the same way as "actually" - ie intensify's the point, without actually expressing an opinion.

Stop using actually, it sounds insanely stupid.

Children are natural mimics and my son mimics me. Everytime I hear "actually", I just cringe. I try to stop myself now, but I still use it at times.

Perhaps you don't mean it, to someone else this is what actually sounds like...

"You are a complete and utter ***. It pains me to breath the same air as you. But I will lower and humble myself to enlighten you, although I know that you are too much of an *** to ever grasp this basic knowledge I am about to bestow upon you. I know that higher concepts are beyond your puny mind."

Now, if this how you want to speak to your prospects, go for it. Otherwise, join me in trying to find another word to use.

:yes:

I always have alot of fun when they have no plans and end up not getting any....I like run out the door and yell: "Ya gonna burn in hellll..........".

Instead of saying 'actually'... I might say "If I may add to that..." or "Additionally" or "That's right, in fact, if I may add..."

"I do different things for different people at different times."

"If I may ask..."

If I'm listening to the other person, I'm nodding my head up and down as I'm listening, taking notes, and I may say "interesting" aloud.

Words and phrases of amateurs that I HATE hearing:

"Sorry to bother you... but" (No you're not. Get to your point.)

"I'm working to earn a scholarship..." or any other BS that isn't about me.

"I'm not here to sell you anything." (Yeah, right. Tell me another one.)

"Honestly" (you weren't honest until now?)

"Actually" (You're going to correct me now?)

"Frankly" (You weren't frank and truthful before?)

"Absolutely" (Now you're agreeing with me without expounding more to make sure that we both understand? Are you just trying to shut me up?)

Anything that over-hypes, such as "absolutely stunning", "the most amazing", or other phrases that Chef Ramsay uses on his show. Have a drinking game with that one sometime.

Stop using actually, it sounds insanely stupid.

Children are natural mimics and my son mimics me. Everytime I hear "actually", I just cringe. I try to stop myself now, but I still use it at times.

Perhaps you don't mean it, to someone else this is what actually sounds like...

"You are a complete and utter ***. It pains me to breath the same air as you. But I will lower and humble myself to enlighten you, although I know that you are too much of an *** to ever grasp this basic knowledge I am about to bestow upon you. I know that higher concepts are beyond your puny mind."

Now, if this how you want to speak to your prospects, go for it. Otherwise, join me in trying to find another word to use.

:yes:

well no,. actually sounds great. insanely stupid sounds insanely stupid. but yeah, its a nice handle. its best used right, but i actually can get you inside your prospects brain, by emphasising a fact as important, without adding a personal opinion to that fact.

I do think we use it different ways. I use it like its surprising to me, not like "omg you are stupid". Ie because A B C we can actually cover you for... (surprise!) not Mr Thomas, Actually this would cover you for a plane crash..

"On the contrary" uses of actually could be patronising. I agree. I think delivery is important though.

----------

"To be honest" and "I ain't gonna try to sell ya anything" come to mind.

TBH is scary because its like "well what are you usually". I aint gonna try to sell you anything would get me shot, as a lot of salesmen have used it so much. I think it could be delivered nicely somewhere in the mid meeting though.

----------

I always have alot of fun when they have no plans and end up not getting any....I like run out the door and yell: "Ya gonna burn in hellll..........".

Good luck!

Safe travels!

Enjoy the rest of your life!

I asked a prospect. Do you know what that actual statistics are for this? He said no what are they? I said, Im not allowed to say.

This scared him into buying.

----------

Instead of saying 'actually'... I might say "If I may add to that..." or "Additionally" or "That's right, in fact, if I may add..."

"If I may ask..."

If I'm listening to the other person, I'm nodding my head up and down as I'm listening, taking notes, and I may say "interesting" aloud.

"Sorry to bother you... but" (No you're not. Get to your point.)

"I'm working to earn a scholarship..." or any other BS that isn't about me.

"I'm not here to sell you anything." (Yeah, right. Tell me another one.)

"Honestly" (you weren't honest until now?)

"Actually" (You're going to correct me now?)

"Frankly" (You weren't frank and truthful before?)

"Absolutely" (Now you're agreeing with me without expounding more to make sure that we both understand? Are you just trying to shut me up?)

Anything that over-hypes, such as "absolutely stunning", "the most amazing", or other phrases that Chef Ramsay uses on his show. Have a drinking game with that one sometime.

read through it

Instead of saying 'actually'... I might say "If I may add to that..." or "Additionally" or "That's right, in fact, if I may add..." (this is good stuff)

"If I may ask..." (i like this a lot. we are using can i ask, or may i ask, but this is really good)

"Sorry to bother you... but" (hate this too. prefer good evening.)

"I'm working to earn a scholarship..." or any other BS that isn't about me. (useful in my line, if its sharp and well placed. not the hard luck story stuff, more like a third party comment on my delivery, inferring stuff about me, and arming the customer to comment, but at the same time focussing them on what i want them to be focused on, and therefore making them focused)

"I'm not here to sell you anything." (agreed)

"Honestly" (agreed)

"Actually" (not as an objection buster)

"Frankly" (agreed)

"Absolutely" (it irks me to say it. unless its a point of reassurance)

Anything that over-hypes, such as "absolutely stunning", "the most amazing", or other phrases that Chef Ramsay uses on his show. Have a drinking game with that one sometime.(largely agreed)

Last edited:
"Stop using actually, it sounds insanely stupid."
If he really wants to sound smart, he should confuse them with the word actuarially.

Back