Your Opinion of Professional Designations

As a newer agent, I was wondering the same thing. However, since you don't make more commission per sale with a designation as without it, I suppose in that sense it really is to impress yourself.:biggrin:

I just wanted to say that I have both enjoyed and respected the opinions that have been shared thus far. I personally tend to think that as a newer Insurance Agent, I would like to submerge myself in my business "for now". If i gain a designation along the way, kudos to me.

I agree with much of what has been said, and that is why I wondered what the general consensus of my peers would be. So I offer you my humble thanks for your time and energy in sharing what I eagerly desired most, your opinion.

If it is okay with you all, I will continue to lurk, and learn and will pop in with a question or comment as I see fit.

Barbra

I just wanted to say that I have both enjoyed and respected the opinions that have been shared thus far. I personally tend to think that as a newer Insurance Agent, I would like to submerge myself in my business "for now". If i gain a designation along the way, kudos to me.

I agree with much of what has been said, and that is why I wondered what the general consensus of my peers would be. So I offer you my humble thanks for your time and energy in sharing what I eagerly desired most, your opinion.

If it is okay with you all, I will continue to lurk, and learn and will pop in with a question or comment as I see fit.

Barbra
First, good luck in your work.

Designations can be a good thing but are not as important as a lot of other factors that drive success. I would offer that FLMI is probably a designation most appropriate if you work for an insurance company, especially in operations. I would suggest the most useful designations are CLU for Life and CEBS for benefits and/or health.

Also, you need to fulfill your CE requirements somewhere, somehow. While it's easy and quicker to do CE online, I choose to do mine through the CEBS group and go to meetings 4-5 times a year. I enjoy meeting others in my industry and I have developed a couple of invaluable referral relationships there, so it's worth my time.

Good luck.

I am trying to decide if/what professional designations to work toward as an Insurance Agent.

This is my thought process: I know that others that are in the Insurance Industry understand what most designations are (ie FLMI etc) but do you think it gives you credibility with the average person? Do you think it could cause them (average person) to be intimidated if you have too many designations? Do you think it could be perceived as arrogance to have many designations?

What professional designations, in your opinion, are the best to have? (If you can provide links to the websites for additional info on the designations it will be appreciated).

I want to finish up my LOMA so I can get my FLMI, but beyond that, what would be good to have?

I appreciate any feedback.

Barb,
Fairly new Insurance Agent

If it is something you desire and something more people would recog I suggest an MBA, BA, BS

1) Credibility with referral partners - attorneys, CPAs, etc.
2) Proper training should help you recognize additional sales opportunities and better explain why you do what you do.

Bingo. DHK nails it.

I'd look at CLU/ChFC very seriously if you work at the highest levels of the profession, if you want to work with other professionals who can send you high-level business. In other words, if you want to fly with the eagles.

Big picture knowledge like estate planning, taxation, business succession & financial planning fundamentals make you far more valuable to your clients (especially high net worth), and professionals like CPA's and attorneys know this when they consider referring business. It also helps you recognize and take constructive advantage of opportunities you would never have even seen otherwise.

You may want to consider adding a Series 65 for more flexibility and knowledge.

By all means, you can pop a UL today, an EIA tomorrow and a big term policy the next day and make a very, very good living. Absolutely. But if you're looking big picture and long-term, I'd strongly consider CLU/ChFC/65. I've looked carefully at the other designations, and I think it's a pretty simple call.

By the way - As I studied for my 65, I began to see why most financial planners aren't so fond of EIA's. They can definitely have an important place in an overall portfolio, but they're pushed too hard by people who aren't interested in a client's "big picture", and are just trying to maximize commission. But that's another topic.

;)

Last edited:
As a beginner I would recommend some of the LUTC classes. Not necessarily all of them and the complete designation but the beginner courses are very helpful. I have taken several of them and I feel that they were ver beneficial. We all started out somewhere. CLU courses may be more than you need as a starter.

Gulliver

Back