Principal Financial Group Chairman, President & CEO Dan Houston was elected 2020 Chairman of the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI) during the 2019 ACLI Annual Conference in Boston on Oct. 14.
Officers for the board of directors were also elected during the conference, which featured keynote speakers including Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, Gen. John Kelly, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin, and ACLI President and CEO Susan Neely.
Building on the meeting theme “Drive,” event speakers explored the political, financial, legal and technological issues that are driving today’s life insurance industry forward.
ACLI’s member companies serve the financial and retirement needs of 90 million American families. The chairman and board of directors lead the association and develop policy solutions that empower all Americans with the information and tools they need to succeed in their financial futures.
Principal’s Houston succeeds JoAnn Martin, CEO of Ameritas Mutual Holding Company, who will serve as ACLI immediate past chair in 2020.
“Dan is a visionary leader and a passionate advocate for solutions that help families address their financial and retirement security needs,” said Neely. “Under his leadership, ACLI will advance the industry’s critical mission to help Americans build a financial safety net that protects them through all stages of life.”
ACLI also selected Ted Mathas, chairman & CEO of New York Life, as chairman-elect. He will become ACLI chairman in October 2020. ACLI’s chairman-elect designate post was awarded to J. Scott Davison, chairman, president & CEO of OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc. He will become ACLI chairman in October 2021.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2020 are:
- John Barrett, chairman, president & CEO, Western & Southern Financial;
- Gary Bhojwani, CEO, CNO Financial;
- John Carter, president & COO, Nationwide Financial;
- Esfand Dinshaw, chairman & CEO, Sammons Financial Group;
- Mark Haydukovich, chairman, president & CEO, Oxford Life insurance Company;
- Joseph Monk, senior vice president, financial services, president & CEO, State Farm Federal Savings Bank, State Farm Insurance Companies;
- Ramy Tadros, president, U.S. business, MetLife;
- William Wheeler, president, Athene;
- John Woerner, president, insurance & annuities, chief strategy officer, Ameriprise Financial, Inc.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2021 are:
- Marianne Harrison, president & CEO, John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.);
- Thomas Leonardi, vice chairman, AIG Life Holdings, Inc.;
- James T. Morris, chairman, president & CEO, Pacific Life Insurance Company;
- Deanna Mulligan, president & CEO, The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America;
- Paul Quaranto, chairman, CEO & president, Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company;
- John Schlifske, chairman, president & CEO, The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company;
- Neil Sprackling, president, U.S. business, Swiss Re America Holding Corporation;
- Eric Steigerwalt, CEO, Brighthouse Financial.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2022 are:
- James E. Hohmann, chairman & CEO, Fidelity Life;
- Michael Falcon, CEO, Jackson National Life Insurance Company;
- Roger Ferguson, president & CEO, TIAA;
- Mary Jane Fortin, president, Allstate Life;
- Dennis R. Glass, president & CEO, Lincoln Financial Group;
- Margaret Meister, president & CEO, Symetra Financial LIC;
- Teresa J. Rasmussen, president & CEO, Thrivent Financial;
- Peter Schaefer, CEO, Hannover Re;
- Walter White, president & CEO, Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America.