Dental Plans - who has good deals for Seniors?

Still think Manhattan is one of the better ones... They just increase the maximum to $3000... True pool of money for dental, vision, hearing.. $3K will come close to covering hearing aids.. Issue ages 18-85.

What does the premium look like for a 67 Male?

In my area the majority of the dentist will only accept Delta. Very few will take any of the other plans.
They don't have to accept Manhattan. You get a copy of the bill send it in and they send the check to you. They do have a network you can use. The payment is the same in or out of network but the network gets a discounted bill so you coinsurance is less if you use the network.

4 comments to consider about the Manhattan plan.

An dental indemnity plan is nice if you have to go out-of-network on your regular plan, or if you had a regular plan. I have a dental plan. There are no endodontists in my Kansas city that accept my dental plan. So I have to come up with a plan to deal with some root canals, at 1K plus or minus, per root canal. Assuming I had fulfilled its' waiting periods, an indemnity plan would be nice in this situation because in or out of net work would stop being an issue.

There are some disadvantages too.

With an indemnity plan you don't get any network repricing. For example, my dental insurance plan has paid around $900 this year, and then additionally reduced my remaining obligation to (in-network) dental providers by another $300-400. With an indemnity plan, I would have had to pay out that additional $300-$400 in fees.

I understand the Manhattan plan has changed from payment against total charges by the provider to payment against Manhattan determined usual and customary fees.

In a discussion about the Manhattan plan last year, an agent posted that they had had some clients use up their "pool of money" on hearing aid services and had no benefit left for needed dental services. (And I think there was also one discussion sometime that indicated actual vision benefits might be pretty limited. Not sure on that and also don't know if policy terms might have changed.)

Not familiar with Manhattan but I am with Delta. I just had 2 crowns. The charge was $2200 and I paid $381.73. What would Manhattan have paid?

Back