Aetna Fitness Benefit change

Aetna is making an immediate change to their fitness benefit. The email states:

"Due to a recent clarification by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), we’re changing the items available for the fitness reimbursement benefit, which is available with 492 Aetna Medicare plans."

Effective immediately, the fitness benefit can no longer be used for the following items:
  • Athletic shoes (all types)
  • Camping tents
  • Fishing rods
  • Hiking poles
  • National and state park fees
As has been discussed on this forum, I'd expect many more changes to come next year. This is also further proof that all carriers do not interpret CMS rules the same.
A smart shopper could just buy an allowed item, return for store credit and buy some shoes, fishing poles or other forbidden equipment with it, even return the purchase for cash refund or credit card refund.

I enrolled a lady for an effective date of 4/1. She got the letter from Aetna and I emailed her as well about this change.

She sent me this nasty response, how this was a "bait and switch" and she was "very disappointed", and also "this plan has no OTC benefits like my husbands has."

Sure, Jan.

Yea, a "bait and switch" from plans that are literally graded and approved by the government. 🤣 They did it just to get you, Karen. They knew you signed up and said "OH THERE SHE IS....F*CK HER LIFE UP!!!" I swear, the IQ levels in this country have to be at epidemically low levels.

Back